to register; to sign up; to join up; to enter one's name on a list
enroll
slope
thrive
equip

Does to be at each other's throat mean to be too loud?

Does to be at loggerheads mean to be at across purposes? | Is a baby in the woods an inexperienced person?
Does to be at each other's throat mean to be too loud? #1 (permalink) Thu Sep 02, 2010 19:17 pm   Does to be at each other's throat mean to be too loud?

Shelly's kids had been at each other's ......... all day, and she was sick of dealing with them.

(a) buttons
(b) throats
(c) nerves
(d) arms

Shelly's kids had been at each other's throats all day, and she was sick of dealing with them.

Correct answer: (b) throats

_________________________

Nenad11

Location: Belgrade

Does to be at each other's throat mean to be too loud? #2 (permalink) Thu Sep 02, 2010 19:47 pm   Does to be at each other's throat mean to be too loud?

This suggests that they have been arguing violently with each other. The reference to 'throats' gives the idea that they almost wanted to strangle each other.

_________________

In this story you'll learn everything about the passive voiceEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Learn how to explore English words! Subscribe to free email English course
Test incompl/inter-312, User's Answer 2Test incompl/elem-229, User's Answer 4Test incompl/inter-311, User's Answer 2What does clear the most dromedaries mean?What does away with the fairies mean?Does at full tilt mean the best one can?What does the letter's impact mean?What does stutter mean?Does at the drop of the time mean in a jiffy?So what are the main steps involved in (creating) a print- based advertisement?What does lost our momentum mean?Living abraod can be great?Why did he not burn his material?