Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

to impose a tariff; to impose a levy; to burden; to demand too much
remember
tax
floor
provision
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

What does away with the fairies mean?

ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
Is a baby in the woods an inexperienced person? | Does at full tilt mean the best one can?
listening exercises
What does away with the fairies mean? #1 (permalink) Thu Sep 02, 2010 20:03 pm   What does away with the fairies mean?

English Language Tests, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #307 "English Slang Idioms (29)", question 7

"I tell you, Joe-- the receptionist is away with the ......... today. I've asked her to give me the number to corporate three times today, but she keeps forgetting", Wes told Max.

(a) fairies
(b) geese
(c) gnomes
(d) ogres

English Language Tests, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #307 "English Slang Idioms (29)", answer 7

"I tell you, Joe-- the receptionist is away with the fairies today. I've asked her to give me the number to corporate three times today, but she keeps forgetting", Wes told Max.

Correct answer: (a) fairies

Your answer was: correct

Does it mean that he is away with his thoughts ?
Nenad11
I'm here quite often ;-)

What does away with the fairies mean? #2 (permalink) Thu Sep 02, 2010 20:19 pm   What does away with the fairies mean?

Hi,

This is a popular expression to describe someone who isn't concentrating on what you are telling them because they are preoccupied with other things on their mind.

Alan
Co-founder
Alan Townend

Can you find all the prepositions in this story?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Read these English anecdotes and maybe smile today? Subscribe to free email English course
Is a baby in the woods an inexperienced person? | Does at full tilt mean the best one can?
ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
Test incompl/inter-159, Question 1Test incompl/inter-312, User's Answer 2Test incompl/inter-312, User's Answer 4Test incompl/elem-229, User's Answer 4Test incompl/inter-311, User's Answer 2What does clear the most dromedaries mean?Does to be at loggerheads mean to be at across purposes?Does to be at each other's throat mean to be too loud?What does the letter's impact mean?What does stutter mean?Does at the drop of the time mean in a jiffy?So what are the main steps involved in (creating) a print- based advertisement?What does lost our momentum mean?