to impose a tariff; to impose a levy; to burden; to demand too much
remember
tax
floor
provision

What does away with the fairies mean?

Is a baby in the woods an inexperienced person? | Does at full tilt mean the best one can?
What does away with the fairies mean? #1 (permalink) Thu Sep 02, 2010 20:03 pm   What does away with the fairies mean?

"I tell you, Joe-- the receptionist is away with the ......... today. I've asked her to give me the number to corporate three times today, but she keeps forgetting", Wes told Max.

(a) fairies
(b) geese
(c) gnomes
(d) ogres

"I tell you, Joe-- the receptionist is away with the fairies today. I've asked her to give me the number to corporate three times today, but she keeps forgetting", Wes told Max.

Correct answer: (a) fairies

_________________________

Does it mean that he is away with his thoughts ?
Nenad11

Location: Belgrade

What does away with the fairies mean? #2 (permalink) Thu Sep 02, 2010 20:19 pm   What does away with the fairies mean?

This is a popular expression to describe someone who isn't concentrating on what you are telling them because they are preoccupied with other things on their mind.

_________________

Can you find all the prepositions in this story?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Read these English anecdotes and maybe smile today? Subscribe to free email English course
Test incompl/inter-159, Question 1Test incompl/inter-312, User's Answer 2Test incompl/inter-312, User's Answer 4Test incompl/elem-229, User's Answer 4Test incompl/inter-311, User's Answer 2What does clear the most dromedaries mean?Does to be at loggerheads mean to be at across purposes?Does to be at each other's throat mean to be too loud?What does the letter's impact mean?What does stutter mean?Does at the drop of the time mean in a jiffy?So what are the main steps involved in (creating) a print- based advertisement?What does lost our momentum mean?