Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

lazy; vain; unoccupied; unemployed
idle
straightforward
colloquial
gross
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

pronounced vs pronouncing

ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
Please tell me what as happy as the day is long means? | Meaning of go to pieces
listening exercises
pronounced vs pronouncing #1 (permalink) Sun Sep 05, 2010 7:38 am   pronounced vs pronouncing

English Language Tests, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #883 "The History of Coffee", question 8

Arabica coffee is preferred by 80% of the world's producers, while only 20 % prefer the Robusta coffee beans.Although, the Robusta has a more ......... flavor, it also has higher caffeine content.

(a) pronounce
(b) pronouncing
(c) pronounced
(d) pronounces

English Language Tests, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #883 "The History of Coffee", answer 8

Arabica coffee is preferred by 80% of the world's producers, while only 20 % prefer the Robusta coffee beans.Although, the Robusta has a more pronounced flavor, it also has higher caffeine content.

Correct answer: (c) pronounced

Your answer was: incorrect
Arabica coffee is preferred by 80% of the world's producers, while only 20 % prefer the Robusta coffee beans.Although, the Robusta has a more pronouncing flavor, it also has higher caffeine content.

Hello,

How do we know whether to choose "ed" participle adjective or "ing" participle adjective attributively--for example in this test sentence?

Thank you.

Best wishes,
Bhikkhu1991a.
Bhikkhu1991a
I'm here quite often ;-)

pronounced vs pronouncing #2 (permalink) Sun Sep 05, 2010 8:03 am   pronounced vs pronouncing

Usually by meaning. 'Pronounced' means strong, clear; 'pronouncing' does not.

What do you know about the progressive forms?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is how you can learn English the fun way! Click to subscribe to free email English course
Test incompl/inter-883, User's Answer 8 #3 (permalink) Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:19 am   Test incompl/inter-883, User's Answer 8

Hello Mister Micawber,

Thank you for your brief explanation. In fact, I studied the guidelines of Participial adjectives provided by Grammar-quizzes.com. and found that it was fully comprehensive and handy:
1. http://www.grammar-quizzes.com/passive3a.html
2. http://www.grammar-quizzes.com/passive4.html

Thus, I applied it to this test sentence, but unfortunately, it didn't work in this type of construction. They didn't take into account of this exception, I think.

Thank you.

Best wishes,
Bhikkhu1991a.
Bhikkhu1991a
I'm here quite often ;-)

pronounced vs pronouncing #4 (permalink) Mon Sep 06, 2010 12:50 pm   pronounced vs pronouncing

Yes, those seem to apply when there is no idiomatic difference in meaning.

Please tell me what as happy as the day is long means? | Meaning of go to pieces
ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on English Forums
Test incompl/advan-864, Question 3shall be submitted vs. shall be submittingHow does one o'clock sound?Isn't a rip-off something too expensive for its real value?A fool at 40 is a fool forever?Test incompl/inter-80, User's Answer 9Test incompl/advan-16, User's Answer 5Test incompl/inter-315, User's Answer 4Test incompl/inter-314, User's Answer 5Test incompl/inter-159, Question 1Test incompl/inter-312, User's Answer 3Test incompl/inter-312, User's Answer 9to or through?