Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

shared characteristic; common feature
swap
evidence
denominator
pallet
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

Another vs. other

ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
He who hesitates is lost. vs He who hesitates is late. | Difference between verbal and wordy?
listening exercises
Another vs. other #1 (permalink) Sat Jan 28, 2006 5:25 am   Another vs. other

English Grammar Tests, Elementary Level

ESL/EFL Test #74 "Other/another/others/the others", question 6

My mom speaks three languages. One is English and ......... one is French.

(a) others
(b) the other
(c) another
(d) the others

English Grammar Tests, Elementary Level

ESL/EFL Test #74 "Other/another/others/the others", answer 6

My mom speaks three languages. One is English and another one is French.

Correct answer: (c) another

Your answer was: incorrect
My mom speaks three languages. One is English and others one is French.

do you can explain the use of another, cause you said that generally it's used after a or an right

aila
aila

OTHER(S), ANOTHER, THE OTHER(S) #2 (permalink) Sat Jan 28, 2006 14:07 pm   OTHER(S), ANOTHER, THE OTHER(S)

Dear Aila,

your question was:
"do you can explain the use of another, cause you said that generally it's used after a or an right".

You don?t use another after A or AN, but when you need to use A or AN before the word "OTHER".

For example:
I have four pens. One is blue. Another ( A + other pen) one is red. or...
I have three apples in my fruit basket. One is red. Another (AN+ other apple) one is green.
Notice that "A" could also mean "one". Also notice "A" and "AN" are indefinite articles. (ex: an apple, an egg, a dog, a pen).
Carol
carolbinda

Do you know how to use the relative pronoun?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!This newsletter tells you all about English! Subscribe to free email English course
OTHER(S), ANOTHER, THE OTHER(S) #3 (permalink) Fri Nov 10, 2006 9:50 am   OTHER(S), ANOTHER, THE OTHER(S)

carolbinda wrote:
Dear Aila,

your question was:
"do you can explain the use of another, cause you said that generally it's used after a or an right".

You don?t use another after A or AN, but when you need to use A or AN before the word "OTHER".

For example:
I have four pens. One is blue. Another ( A + other pen) one is red. or...
I have three apples in my fruit basket. One is red. Another (AN+ other apple) one is green.
Notice that "A" could also mean "one". Also notice "A" and "AN" are indefinite articles. (ex: an apple, an egg, a dog, a pen).
Carol

Dear Mr. Alan
Could you explain for me to understand clearly more.
In Question 1, we answered “and another is an apple”, but In question 6 we answered “and another one is French” and in question 10 we answered “another is a chemistry book”. I wonder what is difference between “another” and “another one”.
Thank you very much in advance.
Dong

Another/one #4 (permalink) Fri Nov 10, 2006 10:04 am   Another/one

Hi Dong,

This is really a difference in emphasis. Imagine you are at a dinner party and the meal is finished and the guests are drinking coffee and also eating chocolate sweets. A guest takes one, likes it very much and takes another (chocolate). Having finished the second chocolate, he finds he would like another(chocolae). He would ask: Could I please have another one? This addition of 'one' emphasises the point that he wants one more.

A
Co-founder
Alan Townend

Another/one #5 (permalink) Fri Jan 23, 2009 14:09 pm   Another/one

Alan wrote:
Hi Dong,

This is really a difference in emphasis. Imagine you are at a dinner party and the meal is finished and the guests are drinking coffee and also eating chocolate sweets. A guest takes one, likes it very much and takes another (chocolate). Having finished the second chocolate, he finds he would like another(chocolae). He would ask: Could I please have another one? This addition of 'one' emphasises the point that he wants one more.

A

Can we use like this " Could I please have another two ? " ?
Is it ok?
THanks ^_^
Juna2020
I'm new here and I like it ;-)

Another vs. other #6 (permalink) Fri Jun 19, 2009 9:47 am   Another vs. other

I am still confused about using of another, the others and some others
Yoki
I'm new here and I like it ;-)

He who hesitates is lost. vs He who hesitates is late. | Difference between verbal and wordy?
ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on English Forums
What does shipping costs mean?Pay out vs. spend moneyWhy use "pull it off" in this sentence?Isn't defers has the same meaning as describes?Meaning of "a real pain in the neck"Meaning of "I am listening very carefully"Meaning of "I'll tell you my honest opinion"Meaning of "familiarity breeds contempt"What is "a diamond in the rough"?off the coach vs. out of the coachdifference between 'talk to' and 'talk with'the way of moving vs. the process of movingMeaning of 'muddled up'