to advance; to encourage; to promote; to assist
subsidize
overwhelm
form
further

end up vs. close up

Is this a question tag - "did they"? | Who(m) does that car belong to?
end up vs. close up #1 (permalink) Mon Sep 06, 2010 16:06 pm   end up vs. close up

ESL/EFL Test #299 "Life: Phrasal Verbs", question 4

After years of committing petty crimes, Ralph finally ......... up in jail for armed robbery.

(a) went
(b) closed
(c) ended
(d) tried

ESL/EFL Test #299 "Life: Phrasal Verbs", answer 4

After years of committing petty crimes, Ralph finally ended up in jail for armed robbery.

Correct answer: (c) ended
_________________________

I think "close up" as forever in jail . "Ended up" means "He has been realeased" ?
Van7hu

Location: Ha noi, Viet Nam

end up vs. close up #2 (permalink) Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:06 am   end up vs. close up

No and no.

End up = finally be or do something
Close up = seal, confine. This possibility cannot be used here, since 'Ralph' is the subject (it would require a passive structure).
_________________

Learn all about English adverbs in this amusing storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is all you want to know about English! Click to subscribe to free email English course
end up vs. close up #3 (permalink) Wed Jun 29, 2011 17:06 pm   end up vs. close up

Can you give me other examples with "end up" for my full satisfaction and understanding of it.
Star80

Location: Mary Turkmenistan

end up vs. close up #4 (permalink) Thu Jun 30, 2011 2:58 am   end up vs. close up

Americans are likely to end up with nothing by way of universal care for many years to come.
If Vermont abandoned its bottle bill, it would end up with twice the amount of contaminated product.
When you install a Java update, you'll end up with the Yahoo Toolbar unless you uncheck a box.
The Consumer Product Safety Commission estimates that more than 6000 people each year end up in the emergency room due to injuries.
If the U.S. continues on the trend towards a service-based economy, it could end up with wealth concentrated on the two coasts.
_________________

"help keep" and "help to keep"journalists would follow him...can not understand ?The meaning of 'paint you in the best light'?diffence between finish up and finish offHow can I make my own sentences?Idiom: to tear one's hair outCredulous vs. credibleHallucinating vs daydreamingDifference between 'those days' and 'these days'Don't mention itI don't think much of itMeaning of the mind boggles