progress; modernization; promotion
article
exclusion
treatment
advance

came up smelling of roses?

run down vs. run-down | Does it mean that the sailor will be there regardless of weather?
came up smelling of roses? #1 (permalink) Thu Sep 09, 2010 11:32 am   came up smelling of roses?

"We checked him out, Chief, but he came up ......... of roses," the policeman said.

(a) smelling
(b) planting
(c) selling
(d) giving

"We checked him out, Chief, but he came up smelling of roses," the policeman said.

Correct answer: (a) smelling

_________________________

Does to come up smelling of roses means to be
inocent,to be deprieved of any further suspision related to the allegedly investigation concerning some sort of an illegal deed,action?
Nenad11

Location: Belgrade

Johnny has a really big mouth?there are bound to be glitches in delivering tangible benefits?Does it'll all come out in the wash mean it isn't a big deal?Does it mean that he finally made up his mind to face with his drinkig problem?He made a clean break?What does my hands are clean mean?Test incompl/elem-223, User's Answer 4What is the meaning of 'chomping at the bit'?Prepositionsthe sun rise. vs the sun rose.'take photos' vs 'get photos'Slang meaning for "Taking a morning constitution""...disappointed, ..." isn't it?