to inform; to direct; to guide; to command; to order; to educate
broker
extradite
instruct
bulk

Does it mean that he finally made up his mind to face with his drinkig problem?

Does it mean that the sailor will be there regardless of weather? | Does it'll all come out in the wash mean it isn't a big deal?
Does it mean that he finally made up his mind to face with his drinkig problem? #1 (permalink) Thu Sep 09, 2010 11:51 am   Does it mean that he finally made up his mind to face with his drinkig problem?

He finally came to ......... with his drinking problem and started attending AA meetings.

(a) face
(b) grips
(c) reality
(d) end

He finally came to grips with his drinking problem and started attending AA meetings.

Correct answer: (b) grips

He finally came to face with his drinking problem and started attending AA meetings.
_________________________

Does it mean that he finally made up his mind to face with his drinkig problem? To get nettle with, Is it possible as to a substitution instead of coming to grips with?
Nenad11

Location: Belgrade

Does it mean that he finally made up his mind to face with his drinkig problem? #2 (permalink) Thu Sep 09, 2010 17:35 pm   Does it mean that he finally made up his mind to face with his drinkig problem?

Yes, to come to grips with means to face and accept a problem/situation for what it is.
As far as 'nettle', the only expression I'm aware of is "to grasp the nettle is to attempt or approach something (that is difficult or scary) with boldness and courage."
_________________

Learn all about English adverbs in this amusing storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Read these English anecdotes and maybe smile today? Subscribe to free email English course
Johnny has a really big mouth?there are bound to be glitches in delivering tangible benefits?came up smelling of roses?He made a clean break?What does my hands are clean mean?Test incompl/elem-223, User's Answer 4run down vs. run-downthe sun rise. vs the sun rose.'take photos' vs 'get photos'Slang meaning for "Taking a morning constitution""...disappointed, ..." isn't it?broke vs breakHow to use the preposition "for"?