hard; troublesome; complicated; complex
regular
effective
difficult
budget

Does to come on the heels mean to be a forerunner?

by appointment only | Attain vs. get
Does to come on the heels mean to be a forerunner? #1 (permalink) Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:06 pm   Does to come on the heels mean to be a forerunner?

"It would be hard to win over the crowd after coming on the ......... of a band that was that good," she thought.

(a) heels
(b) tails
(c) shoes
(d) back

"It would be hard to win over the crowd after coming on the heels of a band that was that good," she thought.

Correct answer: (a) heels

"It would be hard to win over the crowd after coming on the tails of a band that was that good," she thought.
_________________________

Does to come on the heels mean to be a forerunner ,that's to say ,to be in(on) the second place?
Nenad11

Location: Belgrade

Does to come on the heels mean to be a forerunner? #2 (permalink) Thu Sep 09, 2010 15:23 pm   Does to come on the heels mean to be a forerunner?

It means following very soon after.

_________________

Learn all about English adverbs in this amusing storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is all you want to know about English! Click to subscribe to free email English course
coming on the heels #3 (permalink) Tue Dec 21, 2010 15:56 pm   coming on the heels

"Coming on the heels"- Alan says: following very soon after.

My question:Are there these expressions synonym with it?

-be breathing down sy's neck
-dog sy/ sy's steps/,
-be hard at/on heels,
-follow sy /hot/ on/at his/her heels,

Thanks:
_________________

Does to come on the heels mean to be a forerunner? #4 (permalink) Tue Dec 21, 2010 16:59 pm   Does to come on the heels mean to be a forerunner?

Yes, except for dog someone's steps, which I think means follow them around from place to place, rather than follow soon after.
_________________

by appointment only | Attain vs. get
fall deeply in love.It will come as no surprisemore interesting vs. most interestingCheck my sentenceExchanging ideias by skypeconvicted of a felony in the US20/20 visionhalf a dozen tractorspassing throughproved equal to the occasioncut vs. reduce vs. snip vs. curtail"clutch play" vs "clutch lever"Difference between 'on time' and 'about time'