to authorize; to appoint as representative; to pass a duty or responsibility on to someone else
suit
receipt
explain
delegate

Farther explanation

What is the meaning of "dine on ashes"? | Find some form of entertainment?
Farther explanation #1 (permalink) Sat Sep 11, 2010 14:41 pm   Farther explanation

There was a question about this part in conversation between a professor and his assistant “Discussion3". I did not understand what she meant exactly. I would like someone to explain it for me more.
Thanks in advance

Dr: I suppose not. I just want to be sure to point out clearly the main ways in which Modern English has developed from its predecessors. You know, the Great Vowel Shift, and so forth. Saving ninety minutes is not going to commit Old and Middle English to total oblivion, after all.
Mr: (laughs) Not if you can help it, certainly! So I can eliminate the phonetics quiz completely, then?
B.d

Farther explanation #2 (permalink) Sat Sep 11, 2010 15:51 pm   Farther explanation

Hi B.d,

You'll find an explanation here:
http://www.english-test.net/forum/sutra252035.html#252035
_________________

Learn all about English adverbs in this amusing storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Learn how to explore English words! Subscribe to free email English course
Farther explanation #3 (permalink) Sun Sep 12, 2010 3:39 am   Farther explanation

Thanks a lot Beeesneees. This slang is difficult to be understood by foreign students. However, I got what she meant.
B.d

help plzDoes to count one's blessings mean to be thankful for something in sort of a way?I don't give two hoots about who wins?Does to corner the market mean to benefit, prosper?Does in coon's age mean for ages?It would be cheap at twice the price?What does once in a blue moon mean?Johnny has a really big mouth?there are bound to be glitches in delivering tangible benefits?going to wear vs. going to wearing'take photos' vs 'get photos'Definiton of "Davey Jone's locker"?is saying "mad about it" an idiomatic saying?