bars of gold; bars of silver
downsizing
bullion
shop
documentation

It would be cheap at twice the price?

Difference between dispose and disperse | What is the meaning of "dine on ashes"?
It would be cheap at twice the price? #1 (permalink) Sat Sep 11, 2010 16:06 pm   It would be cheap at twice the price?

"I had to buy the tree. It would be cheap at ......... the price. I got it for way less than it would have cost in a store," Doug said.

(a) twice
(b) half
(c) over
(d) less

"I had to buy the tree. It would be cheap at twice the price. I got it for way less than it would have cost in a store," Doug said.

Correct answer: (a) twice

"I had to buy the tree. It would be cheap at half the price. I got it for way less than it would have cost in a store," Doug said.
_________________________

Could you please explain? Does this mean that if the tree cost twice more it would still be cheap? I'm a loss here.
Dinanrodrig

Location: Portugal

It would be cheap at twice the price? #2 (permalink) Sat Sep 11, 2010 19:51 pm   It would be cheap at twice the price?

Yes, that's the idea. In other words if the tree had cost more than two times what it actually cost, it would still be a very good, a cheap price to pay.

_________________

Learn to use the present simple with the help of this short storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Read these English anecdotes and maybe smile today? Subscribe to free email English course
Does to count one's blessings mean to be thankful for something in sort of a way?I don't give two hoots about who wins?Does to corner the market mean to benefit, prosper?Does in coon's age mean for ages?Find some form of entertainment?What does once in a blue moon mean?Farther explanationJohnny has a really big mouth?there are bound to be glitches in delivering tangible benefits?going to wear vs. going to wearing'take photos' vs 'get photos'is saying "mad about it" an idiomatic saying?Expression: "crosses to bear"