dress; clothing; apparel
research
stance
attire
subject

Please explain this phrase: "What makes you say that, madam?"

Using: others, other, anothes | now they vs. they now
Please explain this phrase: "What makes you say that, madam?" #1 (permalink) Wed Feb 01, 2006 2:14 am   Please explain this phrase: "What makes you say that, madam?"

ESL/EFL Test #70 "Chit Chat: In the train", question 4

Mr Corp: What ......... you say that, madam?

(a) forces
(b) makes
(c) does
(d) requires

ESL/EFL Test #70 "Chit Chat: In the train", answer 4

Mr Corp: What makes you say that, madam?

Correct answer: (b) makes

Mr Corp: What does you say that, madam?
_________________________

i'm a little confuse for make question with you we use DO right way in this sentence use does?

aila
heiner

Makes #2 (permalink) Wed Feb 01, 2006 10:29 am   Makes

Hi aila,

This use of make here means oblige/persuade/force as in:

I don't know what made me do it = I don't know what persuaded me to do it.

In the test sentence: What makes you say that? really means what persuades you to say that or Why do you say that?

Hope this is clear.

_________________

In this story you'll learn how to use the English articlesEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is all you want to know about English! Click to subscribe to free email English course
Please explain this phrase: "What makes you say that, madam?" #3 (permalink) Tue Jan 27, 2009 7:36 am   Please explain this phrase: "What makes you say that, madam?"

I don't know what made me do it = I don't know what persuaded me to do it

One key thing to point out is the use of the word "to" (or lack thereof) in the last sentences. (I think it has something to do with transitive versus intransitive verbs...ask an English professor for more details)

When using "make" we don't need to say "to".

I don't know what made me do it

However, when using a word like persuade or force, the word "to" is needed.

I don't know what persuaded/forced me to do it.
Redbmk

Please explain this phrase: "What makes you say that, madam?" #4 (permalink) Thu May 17, 2012 0:22 am   Please explain this phrase: "What makes you say that, madam?"

Hi dear. The figther between make and do is endless. Further I study this subject less I learn. I will go on trying to assimilate the spirit of the matter. Who knows one day I find out the logic of that hard theme. Thank you.
Cristovam

Please explain this phrase: "What makes you say that, madam?" #5 (permalink) Thu May 17, 2012 6:55 am   Please explain this phrase: "What makes you say that, madam?"

I guess you will just have to make do.

Sorry, I could not resist.

Please explain this phrase: "What makes you say that, madam?" #6 (permalink) Thu May 17, 2012 7:39 am   Please explain this phrase: "What makes you say that, madam?"

Hi Cristovam,

You may be interested on a piece I wrote for the site on this topic:

http://www.english-test.net/lessons/5/index.html

_________________

Please explain this phrase: "What makes you say that, madam?" #7 (permalink) Fri May 18, 2012 0:20 am   Please explain this phrase: "What makes you say that, madam?"

Sorry mister luschen. I would thank if you can explain what you answered to me. Please do it. Again, do not forget that. It`s evidente that my English knowledge is very limited and I am here to learn. I am sure you will send me a message. Regards.
Cristovam

Please explain this phrase: "What makes you say that, madam?" #8 (permalink) Fri May 18, 2012 0:54 am   Please explain this phrase: "What makes you say that, madam?"

Hi, "make do" means to do your best with what you have available. I thought it was funny since you had trouble differentiating between make and do, so I used an expression that contained both words.

Please explain this phrase: "What makes you say that, madam?" #9 (permalink) Fri May 18, 2012 1:00 am   Please explain this phrase: "What makes you say that, madam?"

In the most common cases, make means to create something, and do means to perform an action. The word do tends to be more general, because you are doing something when you make an item.

For example,

Person A: What are you doing?
Person B: I am making bread.

The word make is also commonly used to mean "force to". If you "make someone do something" you are forcing them to perform that action.

For example,

Mother: Will you do the dishes?
Son: Mom, please don't make me do the dishes! I want to go play outside!

I think most other uses of "make" and "do" that might seem confusing are idioms, which tend not to make very much sense regardless.
Redbmk

curb appealon walk-ins and reach-ins???proof reading on Weather. Pls check. Thanksmeaning of The final fraction is ‘fines’ – nameless dust.My favorite and least favorite school subjectTest incompl/advan-875, User's Answer 8Jekyll and Hydeidiom: until the fat lady singsTest incompl/advan-522, Question 7like to watch vs. like watchingWhat is a recliner?why we don't use to quit?What does the expression "find the way out" mean?