Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

to transmit over the radio; to publicize; to advertise
interject
validate
fare
broadcast
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

What is the meaning of the sew?

ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
preposition at/on/in in the example How I got that job | What is the difference between "whom" and "who"?
listening exercises
What is the meaning of the sew? #1 (permalink) Thu Feb 02, 2006 11:57 am   What is the meaning of the sew?

English Grammar Tests, Elementary Level

ESL/EFL Test #77 "American homophones", question 9

Christina loves to .........!

(a) so
(b) soul
(c) sew
(d) sow

English Grammar Tests, Elementary Level

ESL/EFL Test #77 "American homophones", answer 9

Christina loves to sew!

Correct answer: (c) sew

Your answer was: incorrect
Christina loves to sow!

what is the meaning of the sew?

Stevan
Stevan

What is the meaning of the sew? #2 (permalink) Thu Feb 02, 2006 12:27 pm   What is the meaning of the sew?

Sew-- a needle pulling thread.

In this story you'll learn everything about the passive voiceEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Learn how to explore English words! Subscribe to free email English course
What is the meaning of the sew? #3 (permalink) Thu Sep 10, 2009 21:32 pm   What is the meaning of the sew?

Well, I am wondering why we can't use "sow" here. Sow as an intrasitive verb means to scatter seed for growing. So, we can put in the word to complete the sentence: Christina loves to .........! as there is no object being used for the infinitive in the sentence. However, "sew" is also an intrasitive verb and seems to be appropriate here.

So, my conclusion is that we can use any of the two verbs. Well, I look forwad to seeking experts' opinion here. :)
Indiansoil
You can meet me at english-test.net

What is the meaning of the sew? #4 (permalink) Thu Sep 10, 2009 22:39 pm   What is the meaning of the sew?

'Sow' is wrong simply because it is such a silly answer.

What is the meaning of the sew? #5 (permalink) Thu Sep 10, 2009 23:22 pm   What is the meaning of the sew?

So, I have come to know there is a silly answerer to my question! By the way, where did you learn English? The word "silly" doesn't define anything wrong. It defines that there is something to understand which you need to have some special type of brain.

The boottom line for you: If you don't know how to explain then don't try to at all.

Mister Micawber wrote:
'Sow' is wrong simply because it is such a silly answer.
Indiansoil
You can meet me at english-test.net

What is the meaning of the sew? #6 (permalink) Thu Sep 10, 2009 23:52 pm   What is the meaning of the sew?

OK, I take back the word 'silly' and replace it with 'purposeless, pointless, unprofitable'. The sentences, 'Christina loves to look/go/plough/fletch' are perfectly grammatical sentences too, but as they stand, they are not things that are reasonable communicated about what people love to do. A statement must be a profitable communication as well as a grammatically-correct structure-- you must look at the semantics, not just the syntax-- and this, judging from your command of the language, you must already know, Indiansoil: hence, my impatience with your first post. I don't think it takes a special kind of brain; it just takes a productive approach to language learning.

What is the meaning of the sew? #7 (permalink) Wed Jun 05, 2013 17:02 pm   What is the meaning of the sew?

I don't understand why only

I think here there are two correct answers.
1. Christina loves to sew!

2./I try to write in the context./

I like gardening. I bought difference flower seeds. I love to sow. It is very good to see how from the little seeds grew up a beautiful flower.

If it isn't good I love to sow what I can write instead of it?

Regards.

What is the meaning of the sew? #8 (permalink) Wed Jun 05, 2013 17:03 pm   What is the meaning of the sew?

I don't understand why only

I like gardening. I bought difference flower seeds. I love to sow. It is very good to see how from the small seeds grew up a beautiful flower.

If it isn't good I love to sow what I can write instead of it?

Regards.

What is the meaning of the sew? #9 (permalink) Wed Jun 05, 2013 17:04 pm   What is the meaning of the sew?

I like gardening. I bought difference flower seeds. I love to sow. It is very good to see how from the small seeds grew up beautiful flowers.

If this sentence isn't good what I can write instead of it?

Regards.

preposition at/on/in in the example How I got that job | What is the difference between "whom" and "who"?
ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on English Forums
Meaning of "their side for certain cervical levels"?When to use annouce in stead of said?When I get the wrong answer I want you show, and when I choose the right answerdifference between leave and departclosing vs. stopping a meetingUsage quit instead of leaveWhat does "likewise" mean?Meaning of "we mustn't leave it so long next time"Is "WAS" an intransitive verb here?Meaning of "let's shake on that"What does "be of a like mind" mean here?I don't know what time they'll be back this evening...Surely vs. safely