Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

of a smaller version or dimension
mental
downsize
terrible
rival
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

until he had seen vs. until he saw

ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
I honestly couldn't follow a word you were saying | What does this phrase mean: "even steven"?
listening exercises
until he had seen vs. until he saw #1 (permalink) Thu Feb 02, 2006 16:27 pm   until he had seen vs. until he saw

English Language Tests, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #92 "Tenses (3)", question 5

He refused to go until he ......... seen all the paintings.

(a) had
(b) was
(c) is
(d) has

English Language Tests, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #92 "Tenses (3)", answer 5

He refused to go until he had seen all the paintings.

Correct answer: (a) had

why had seen?

Gella
Gellas

Had seen #2 (permalink) Thu Feb 02, 2006 18:31 pm   Had seen

Hi Gella,

The best way I can explain this is by saying that the refusing to go (the non going if you like) was after the seeing. His actual words were: I refuse to go until I have seen and this converts in reported speech as: He refused to go until he had seen. Another way is to say: He didn't go until he had seen ..

Alan
Co-founder
Alan Townend

In this story you'll learn everything about the passive voiceEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is how you can learn English the fun way! Click to subscribe to free email English course
until he had seen vs. until he saw #3 (permalink) Tue Aug 10, 2010 16:01 pm   until he had seen vs. until he saw

Dear teachers,

Can I say "He refused to go until he saw all the paintings."
Thanks in advance.

Aiken

until he had seen vs. until he saw #4 (permalink) Tue Aug 10, 2010 16:43 pm   until he had seen vs. until he saw

Hi Aiken,

'Saw' and 'had seen' would both work here.

Alan
Co-founder
Alan Townend

Re: Had seen #5 (permalink) Mon May 30, 2011 14:51 pm   Re: Had seen

Alan wrote:
Hi Gella,

The best way I can explain this is by saying that the refusing to go (the non going if you like) was after the seeing. His actual words were: I refuse to go until I have seen and this converts in reported speech as: He refused to go until he had seen. Another way is to say: He didn't go until he had seen ..

Alan

Good explanation Alan!
Maddy
I'm here quite often ;-)

until he had seen vs. until he saw #6 (permalink) Mon May 30, 2011 15:18 pm   until he had seen vs. until he saw

Hi Maddy,

Glad you liked it!

Alan
Co-founder
Alan Townend

until he had seen vs. until he saw #7 (permalink) Mon May 30, 2011 15:18 pm   until he had seen vs. until he saw

Hi Maddy,

Glad you liked it!

Alan
Co-founder
Alan Townend

until he had seen vs. until he saw #8 (permalink) Tue Sep 27, 2011 14:48 pm   until he had seen vs. until he saw

The Past Perfect can be use with till/until and before to emphasize the complection or expected complection of an action. For till/untill the simple past action may precede the past perfect action. So can it be that:
first he refused to go, and later saw all the paintings? I think so. But Mr Alan said completely different/opposite, so how to differ which action was the first and the second?

many,many thanks
Saneta
I'm a Communicator ;-)

until he had seen vs. until he saw #9 (permalink) Tue Sep 27, 2011 14:49 pm   until he had seen vs. until he saw

The Past Perfect can be use with till/until and before to emphasize the complection or expected complection of an action. For till/untill the simple past action may precede the past perfect action. So can it be that:
first he refused to go, and later saw all the paintings? I think so. But Mr Alan said completely different/opposite, so how to differ which action was the first and the second?

many,many thanks
Saneta
I'm a Communicator ;-)

until he had seen vs. until he saw #10 (permalink) Tue Sep 27, 2011 14:51 pm   until he had seen vs. until he saw

The Past Perfect can be used with till/until and before to emphasize the complection or expected complection of an action. For till/untill the simple past action may precede the past perfect action. So can it be that:

many,many thanks
Saneta
I'm a Communicator ;-)

I honestly couldn't follow a word you were saying | What does this phrase mean: "even steven"?
ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
Cleft sentences and use of EnglishIs bend the right word to use?what is dandle?What does 'reached' mean?What does performance mean?Does 'stir' have to be in the Present form? Shouldn't it be "stirred"?Track versus laneSimple past + past continuous'to learn to speak English' vs. 'to learn speak English'Meaning of cubicleWhy doesn't "knee long" make sense?Meaning of walkaboutWhat does "at his mother's knee" mean?