Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

character; nature; trait; arrangement; placement
itinerary
deal
disposition
initial
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

has been developed vs. has been developing

ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
Why would doesn't fit here? | the turbulance and noise of the boats.
listening exercises
has been developed vs. has been developing #1 (permalink) Thu Sep 16, 2010 15:13 pm   has been developed vs. has been developing

English Language Tests, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #883 "The History of Coffee", question 10

Coffee is grown in more than 50 countries; the flavor varies because of the particular soil characteristics. From Hawaii's rich volcanic soil, Mexico's mountainous region, Puerto Rico's acidic soil, or the slightly sweet soil of Columbia, a coffee has been ......... to suit everyone's taste.

(a) developing
(b) develops
(c) developer
(d) developed

English Language Tests, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #883 "The History of Coffee", answer 10

Coffee is grown in more than 50 countries; the flavor varies because of the particular soil characteristics. From Hawaii's rich volcanic soil, Mexico's mountainous region, Puerto Rico's acidic soil, or the slightly sweet soil of Columbia, a coffee has been developed to suit everyone's taste.

Correct answer: (d) developed

Your answer was: incorrect
Coffee is grown in more than 50 countries; the flavor varies because of the particular soil characteristics. From Hawaii's rich volcanic soil, Mexico's mountainous region, Puerto Rico's acidic soil, or the slightly sweet soil of Columbia, a coffee has been developing to suit everyone's taste.

Please could you explain to me why developing is incorrect.
Maddy
I'm here quite often ;-)

has been developed vs. has been developing #2 (permalink) Fri Sep 17, 2010 3:48 am   has been developed vs. has been developing

Coffee does not develop itself; people must develop it. Therefore, coffee cannot 'be developing'; it is either 'being developed' or in this case it 'has been developed' (passive voice).

How do you use the English Prepositions correctly?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Sign up for FREE and explore English! Click to subscribe to email English course
has been developed vs. has been developing #3 (permalink) Fri Sep 17, 2010 15:17 pm   has been developed vs. has been developing

Mister Micawber wrote:
Coffee does not develop itself; people must develop it. Therefore, coffee cannot 'be developing'; it is either 'being developed' or in this case it 'has been developed' (passive voice).

Thank your for your prompt response.

Maddy
Maddy
I'm here quite often ;-)

has been developed vs. has been developing #4 (permalink) Mon May 07, 2012 15:10 pm   has been developed vs. has been developing

Where exactly is "Columbia" located?
Joao

has been developed vs. has been developing #5 (permalink) Mon May 07, 2012 15:52 pm   has been developed vs. has been developing

Have you tried a map, Joao, or is this your way of pointing out that the spelling in this case should probably be 'Colombia' (the South American state) rather than 'Columbia' (in North America)?
Language Coach

Why would doesn't fit here? | the turbulance and noise of the boats.
ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on English Forums
Test incompl/advan-522, Question 7head or heads?Meaning of 'Past Due Accounts'?I need you to pick me up at 4:30 pmMeaning of 'doing our planet some good'?Meaning of 'upon fifteen (15) days prior written notice'???about "to tell about"to mail in our store receipt???more mobile societyAshes to ashes"Within seconds" vs "Without seconds"What are synonyms to 'quiet'?Phrasal verb: turn up