article cut from a newspaper
insert
clipping
mark
accommodation

Idiom explanation

To form opinions? | Test incompl/elem-186, User's Answer 3
Idiom explanation #1 (permalink) Fri Sep 17, 2010 20:08 pm   Idiom explanation

Hi, every body
I would like someone to explain for me this idiom please, “threw a monkey wrench into the construction schedule” I found it in TOFEL Discussion 7 and here it is the conversation.
R: How come? The student body's about the same as last year, I think. Or smaller-- tuition's gone up again and I'll bet some students just couldn't afford it this year, with this slow economy.

T: No, it's because they tore down Dormitory A to put up a new one-- but all they've got is the shell so far. That plumbers and electricians strike this summer sure threw a monkey wrench into the construction schedule. It won't be finished now till the end of December at least.
Another question. At the end of conversation what I understood is that the woman does not want to live outside the compass but the man convinced her that they will share the rent and it will be cheap just like the dormitory and they can conduct parties in their apartment. The woman said let’s keep our eyes open for a place for next year. It means “they are thinking about moving to somewhere close to the compass” The answer should be “Moving” but I found it Registering. And here it is the question
What are the two roommates considering for the future?
(A) Moving
(B) Banking
(C) Separating
(D) Registering

Many thanks
B.d

Idiom explanation #2 (permalink) Sat Sep 18, 2010 14:34 pm   Idiom explanation

1-- threw a monkey wrench into = caused something to fail.
2-- Perhaps there's a mistake in the answer sheet.
_________________

Learn some cool expressions in the following cool storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Sign up for FREE and explore English! Click to subscribe to email English course
Test incompl/inter-264, Question 6Test incompl/inter-264, Question 4Test incompl/inter-264, Question 3Test incompl/inter-264, Question 2Test incompl/inter-265, Question 9Test incompl/inter-265, Question 8Test incompl/inter-265, Question 7Test incompl/inter-265, Question 5Test incompl/inter-265, Question 3Test incompl/inter-238, User's Answer 10Test incompl/inter-338, User's Answer 7Test incompl/inter-338, User's Answer 5Does all dressed to kill mean that one looks gorgeous?