probability; feasibility; chance; likelihood
concept
meter
transfer
possibility

Why doesn't "knee long" make sense?

Cleft sentences and use of English | Is bend the right word to use?
Why doesn't "knee long" make sense? #1 (permalink) Sat Feb 04, 2006 7:32 am   Why doesn't "knee long" make sense?

ESL/EFL Test #103 "Charlie's Knees", question 9

After they were married, Charlie had to work very hard and he was always knee ......... in decorating and painting the house.

(a) deep
(b) level
(c) steep
(d) long

ESL/EFL Test #103 "Charlie's Knees", answer 9

After they were married, Charlie had to work very hard and he was always knee deep in decorating and painting the house.

Correct answer: (a) deep

After they were married, Charlie had to work very hard and he was always knee long in decorating and painting the house.
_________________________

Why doesn't "knee long" make sense? Thanks in advance.

D Huong
D Huong

Why doesn't "knee long" make sense? #2 (permalink) Sat Feb 04, 2006 7:38 am   Why doesn't "knee long" make sense?

.
One's knees are a measure of height, not length. The metaphor comes from the physical image of standing in something-- water, mud, trouble-- to the height of one's knees, so that the water or (idiomatically) the trouble is 'knee-deep'.

You can also be waist-deep or up to your neck in difficulties, projects or preschoolers, for instance.
.
_________________

In this story you'll learn how to use the English articlesEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!This newsletter tells you all about English! Subscribe to free email English course
Why doesn't "knee long" make sense? #3 (permalink) Wed Sep 28, 2011 15:07 pm   Why doesn't "knee long" make sense?

Could it also be: After they had married/After they had been married?
Why is there Past Simple in the sentence?
many thanks

Why doesn't "knee long" make sense? #4 (permalink) Wed Sep 28, 2011 15:11 pm   Why doesn't "knee long" make sense?

'After' clearly orders the events (as does the content); therefore, past perfect is not called for.
_________________

Right just one morewhat is dandle?What does performance mean?holding meetings and delivering papersTrack versus laneCould OR can?Simple past + past continuous'to learn to speak English' vs. 'to learn speak English'Commence vs. Startuntil he had seen vs. until he sawMeaning of walkaboutWhat does "at his mother's knee" mean?Idiom: they've been walking out together