old-fashioned; unusual; odd; strange
quaint
abstruse
emollient
malleable

There is only one definition of success葉o be able to spend your life in your own

GMAT Practice tests Increase your GMAT test score with
plus 1.400 GMAT word flash cards
ESL Forums | Preparation forum for the GMATョ Test and MBA Community
ebook link to download the Gmatョ official Review | Please review the topic and suggest me any modifications are required.
There is only one definition of success葉o be able to spend your life in your own #1 (permalink) Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:18 am   There is only one definition of success葉o be able to spend your life in your own

There is only one definition of success葉o be able to spend your life in your own way.

To what extent do you agree or disagree with this definition of success? Support your position by using reasons and examples from your reading, your own experience, or your observation of others.

The speaker here defines success simply as the ability to choose your own way to spend one痴 life. Under this definition, people who have the freedom to do whatever they want at any time they choose would presumably be the most successful ones, while those who have no such freedom would be the biggest failures. Viewing the definition in this light reveals three serious problems with it.

First and foremost, the chief problem with this definition of success is that by the definition, nearly all people would be regarded as failures. The reason for this is that most people have extremely limited choices in what they can do and when they can do it. In other words, unrestricted freedom of choice is a luxury that only a few people, perhaps a handful of tyrannical dictators and ultra-wealthy individuals, can afford.

Secondly, people who have high degree of freedom in choosing their lifestyle often acquire it through means that would not earn them the accolade of being successful. For example, lottery winners or people who inherit a great deal of money may be able to spend their lives in any way they choose, but few people would regard them as successful merely due to their financial fortune.

Last but not least, a third reason this definition of success is unacceptable is that it repudiates some of our basic intuitions about success. For most people, success is related to achievement. The more you achieve, the more successful you are; conversely, the less you achieve, the less successful you are. Defining success in terms of freedom of choice ignores this intuition.

Drawing a conclusion from the aforementioned argument, I reckon that the proposed definition of success is far too limiting, and it belies our intuition about the concept. I think that most people would agree with me that success is better defined in terms of the attainment of goals.
Vietnam

There is only one definition of success葉o be able to spend your life in your own #2 (permalink) Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:22 am   There is only one definition of success葉o be able to spend your life in your own

In my opinion the above definition given by the author is the best degree of success that man/woman can achieve.
Naturally, if I was asked to define Success according to my personal experience I would give several definitions.
For instance: Success in a relationship may be the freedom to spend your life with the person you most love.
Or the freedom to earn as much money as you want by choosing the profession you like more.
I guess that the author has given a perfect description of his experience of success - It is not limiting but possibly not what everybody is looking for.
Best Regards.

Giuseppe Brandi

www.thesuccesscreed.co.uk
Brandilee

GMAT Test Preparation — Improve your Score with 280 free GMAT Vocabulary TestsGMAT Study Guide Guaranteed to Raise GMAT scores without weeks and months of studying — View the Free ReportGMAT Practice Tests — Learn the most essential GMAT vocabulary words you need to pass the GMAT with these vocabulary tests and this unique flash card systemHere is how you can learn English the fun way! Click to subscribe to free email English course
ESL Forums | Preparation forum for the GMATョ Test and MBA Community All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Latest topics on GMAT Test Forums
Improve customer service is the best way to differentiate from competitorsTruck company should pay more tax than railways companyWill reducing sugar resolve the trade deficit?Please help me rate this analytical writing - The Apogee CompanyPreparing for my MBALittle Known Ways to Clear GMATョ ExamsOnline / Mobile Test Prep??How to prepare for my MBA?GREョ or GMATョ in my case. please help me!!!Improve your grammar: I worked very hard over the last year for GMATョ...online Universities for MBA?How important is Quant?Giving away GMATョ material