Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

to vote; to elect; to count votes; to make a survey
must
believe
poll
form
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

Does to hear oneself bray mean to boast about something?

ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
Zoning vs. seats | Does every cloud has a silver linening mean that every evil has its good?
listening exercises
Does to hear oneself bray mean to boast about something? #1 (permalink) Wed Sep 22, 2010 15:54 pm   Does to hear oneself bray mean to boast about something?

English Language Tests, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #343 "English Slang Idioms (64)", question 8

Jeff talked a lot about himself at our party last night-- how much he has accomplished, how much money he makes and how many trips he takes. Well, every ass likes to hear himself ..........

(a) bray
(b) neigh
(c) grunt
(d) snort

English Language Tests, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #343 "English Slang Idioms (64)", answer 8

Jeff talked a lot about himself at our party last night-- how much he has accomplished, how much money he makes and how many trips he takes. Well, every ass likes to hear himself bray.

Correct answer: (a) bray

Your answer was: correct

Does to hear oneself bray mean to boast about something?
Nenad11
I'm here quite often ;-)

Does to hear oneself bray mean to boast about something? #2 (permalink) Wed Sep 22, 2010 15:58 pm   Does to hear oneself bray mean to boast about something?

An ass (a donkey) is an animal that brays. (braying is characteristic of asses). Asses are famous for their obstinance and stupidity, so people have come to call stupid obstinate people asses (so, ass when applied to humans is a simile).

Every ass likes to hear himself bray = every idiot likes talking about how good he is.
I'm a Communicator ;-)

In this story you'll learn how to use the English articlesEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is all you want to know about English! Click to subscribe to free email English course
Zoning vs. seats | Does every cloud has a silver linening mean that every evil has its good?
ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on English Forums
usage of ran in the sentenceThere aren't old jokes only old peopleTest incompl/inter-269, Question 9I am so hungry that I could eat a horse.an idea or concept is a symbolWhat does plot mean?Does even-steven mean that one doesn't owe anything more?Democrats in the US are usually more liberalon sold/sold onTest incompl/advan-195, Question 2Test incompl/inter-270, Question 10Test incompl/inter-270, Question 7Test incompl/inter-270, Question 6