to toss or dump garbage in an unauthorized place; to scatter objects in disorder
cover
ignore
concoct
litter

When a writer makes something out to be more than it is, it's called...

Test incompl/advan-518, Question 6 | What is a lead foot?
When a writer makes something out to be more than it is, it's called... #1 (permalink) Wed Sep 22, 2010 16:43 pm   When a writer makes something out to be more than it is, it's called...

ESL/EFL Test #269 "Literary Terms (1)", question 3

When a writer makes something out to be more than it is, it's called a(n) ..........

(a) exaggeration
(b) simile
(c) metaphor

ESL/EFL Test #269 "Literary Terms (1)", answer 3

When a writer makes something out to be more than it is, it's called a(n) exaggeration.

Correct answer: (a) exaggeration
_________________________

Not only a writer but anybody else makes something out to be more than it is, it is called an exaggeration.
An exaggerated description is full of exaggerations: we can say:
" a story full of exaggerations"
_________________

When a writer makes something out to be more than it is, it's called... #2 (permalink) Wed Sep 22, 2010 18:54 pm   When a writer makes something out to be more than it is, it's called...

Hi Kati,

Please could you do us a favour and not change the default title of test question threads?

_________________

Learn to use the present simple with the help of this short storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Start exploring the English language today! Subscribe to free email English course
B.Z #3 (permalink) Wed Sep 22, 2010 20:15 pm   B.Z

Hi BZ,

If there is somebody I didn't want to argue is you. But I have to defend myself.My first sentence is an initiative thought but the next two sentences attest that I dealt with the default title of question thread.

Take care:
Kati[/b]
_________________

When a writer makes something out to be more than it is, it's called... #4 (permalink) Wed Sep 22, 2010 23:45 pm   When a writer makes something out to be more than it is, it's called...

We're not 'arguing, Kati. Just discussing the best options to ensure that questions aren't missed. If you move off the topic of the question, then it might be better to start a new thread.
_________________

to BZ #5 (permalink) Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:36 am   to BZ

Hi BZ,

Start with a thanks that you corrected the 'argue' to 'discuss'. Unfortunately I am not fully aware of their using, but I will consult with my dictionary. I am a student and I am not native speaker.

Yes, we are discussing because you want to blame moving off the topic on me.
I wrote that the writer also commit the mistake the exaggeration. Is the mistake the "also" or the"other people"/ now I don't remember what was the word that I add to the "writer" word ? The question explains what is an exaggeration.After first sentence I return to literary examples:

An exaggerated description.
or A story full of exaggerations.

What else would have to had written? "A poem/ a novel/ a drama/ a short story etc full of exaggeration". Then didn't I leave the thread of the questions?

Thanks:
Kati
_________________

When a writer makes something out to be more than it is, it's called... #6 (permalink) Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:39 am   When a writer makes something out to be more than it is, it's called...

Correction:Would I have to had written- I forgot the personal pronoun.
_________________

When a writer makes something out to be more than it is, it's called... #7 (permalink) Thu Sep 23, 2010 10:51 am   When a writer makes something out to be more than it is, it's called...

Just don't change the titles, Kati. That is a simple rule to follow.
_________________

To Mister Micawber #8 (permalink) Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:43 am   To Mister Micawber

Mister Micawber, I understand nor you neither BZ. Could you be willing me to explain me where I kicked over the rules. It would be very important to know because
I respect always the rules.

These insinuating comments makes me frustrated. You have to explain factually which sentence and how I backed away the theme.

I am waiting for your answer.

Regards:
Kati
_________________

When a writer makes something out to be more than it is, it's called... #9 (permalink) Thu Sep 23, 2010 12:46 pm   When a writer makes something out to be more than it is, it's called...

Just don't change the thread title-- that means, don't change the Subject line. Thank you.
_________________

Mr Micawber's #10 (permalink) Thu Sep 23, 2010 16:18 pm   Mr Micawber's

OK Mister Micawber's you came round to answer my question. Only you were willing to repeat yourself "don't change the thread line" secondly "don't change the Subject"

This formula is very impolite disregard.

Especially as I didn't change the train of thought. When I add some words : "not only + anybody else" to the sentence it crossed my mind we use poetic exaggeration in common talk also. Why is problem if I come round the theme.

We use this stylistic resort to intensify the literary effect.

I was looking for some example from English poet's for the exaggerations. /only quotations/

John Keats:
When I have fears...

"-then on the shore
Of the wide worlds I stand alone, and think,
Till Love and Fame to nothingness do sink."

John Keats:
Ode on a Grecian urn

"Heard melodies are sweet, but those unheard
Are sweater;"

....

"Ah, happy, happy boughs! that cannot shed
Your leaves, nor ever bid Spring adieu;
And, happy melodist, unwearied."

Percy Bysshe Shelly:
Ode to the west wind

" O Wild West Wind, thou breath of Autumn' being
Thou, from unseen presence the leaves dead
Are driven like ghost from enchanter fleeing,

yellow, and black, and pale, and hectic red,
Pestrilence-stricken multitudes ! "

John Donne:
The Apparition

"And in false sleepe will begin from thee shrinke,
And the poor Aspen wretch, neglected thou
Bath'd in a cold quicksilver sweat wilt ly
A verier ghost than I;"

I've tried to explain that I didn't want to change the thread line. But when i fill in the test I have only time to answer the question.

Best regards:
_________________

When a writer makes something out to be more than it is, it's called... #11 (permalink) Thu Sep 23, 2010 19:30 pm   When a writer makes something out to be more than it is, it's called...

Hi kati,

I think you are getting rather confused about what we are asking of you. When you click on a link at the end of a question (click here for explanation), and post your comment, please don't change whatever is already written in the small line for 'Subject'. It's the title line that says something like 'Test incompl/advan-xxx, Question x'.

It simply makes it easier for us to keep track of things, and recognise what we need to answer.
_________________

Test incompl/inter-346, User's Answer 3go berserk = become/get/go angry, frenzied, ragingdoubting thomasesI'm trying to pay down my car loanTest incompl/advan-528, Question 1Test incompl/advan-518, Question 5Test incompl/advan-294, Question 3Test errors/elem-6, Question 2Test incompl/inter-345, User's Answer 10Test incompl/inter-345, User's Answer 3Test incompl/inter-344, User's Answer 4Test incompl/inter-343, User's Answer 6Test incompl/inter-343, User's Answer 4