Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

figure; form; reflection; picture; likeness; embodiment
pleasure
fundamental
professional
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

jump through hoops

ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
it was a jungle out there vs. it was mayhem | I got the piece into my editor's office just in the nick of time
listening exercises
jump through hoops #1 (permalink) Fri Sep 24, 2010 15:46 pm   jump through hoops

English Language Proficiency Tests, Advanced Level

ESL/EFL Test #527 "English Slang Idioms (111)", question 1

Many people in America believe that college is more about proving one can ......... than getting an education that actually prepares you for a career.

(a) dodge the bullet
(b) mimic a clown
(c) reinvent the wheel
(d) jump through hoops

English Language Proficiency Tests, Advanced Level

ESL/EFL Test #527 "English Slang Idioms (111)", answer 1

Many people in America believe that college is more about proving one can jump through hoops than getting an education that actually prepares you for a career.

Correct answer: (d) jump through hoops

Will be correct if I choose the fourth variant? And what's the meaning of this idiom then? Thanks a lot.
Ilshat
I'm new here and I like it ;-)

jump through hoops #2 (permalink) Fri Sep 24, 2010 16:14 pm   jump through hoops

Please observe that you have posted the correct answer yourself above the line.

To 'jump through hoops' is to make a great effort purely for the sake of appearance or demonstration, rather than for effective results.
Language Coach

What do you know about the progressive forms?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Have you read a good anecdote today? Subscribe to free email English course
jump through hoops #3 (permalink) Fri Sep 24, 2010 16:27 pm   jump through hoops

Dear my teacher,

I appreciate your help very much. Your explanation is short and clear. I am so grateful to you and happy to have such experienced teachers.

Sincerely yours,
Ilshat
Ilshat
I'm new here and I like it ;-)

jump through hoops #4 (permalink) Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:22 am   jump through hoops

Hi Teachers,

Would you like me please what does "college is more about proving" mean? I have my doubts about my right sense. How to say the same in other words?

Thank you,
Vladimir.

jump through hoops #5 (permalink) Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:36 am   jump through hoops

Many people in America believe that the skills you display when you are in college do not actually prepare you for a career, but rather they only prove that you can make an effort for the sake of appearance.
Language Coach

it was a jungle out there vs. it was mayhem | I got the piece into my editor's office just in the nick of time
ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
it was in his best interest to make a clean breast of his crimeslowering one's sights from post graduate studies and doctoral workGot to keep you sharp. Just trying to keep you on your toes.to keep his creditors at bayI am glad that he got his just desserts.she should start jockeying for positionYou are like a little kid with jam all over his face.that are featured for no other apparent reasona jack of all tradesMeaning of "jump on the bandwagon"what does sole mean?He action moved at great speedRandom choice