to further; to encourage sales; to aid; to help; to assist
promote
lack
supplement
conceptualize

to feather one's own nest?

Who is Lord Mansfield? | What does this expression mean: 'to make a pitch'?
to feather one's own nest? #1 (permalink) Sat Sep 25, 2010 13:33 pm   to feather one's own nest?

"You are going away for a long time, Bob. I will personally make sure you get the worst sentence possible. I can't stand people who steal from charitable organizations to ......... their own nest," the cop said as he led him off in handcuffs.

(a) feather
(b) build
(c) line
(d) improve

"You are going away for a long time, Bob. I will personally make sure you get the worst sentence possible. I can't stand people who steal from charitable organizations to feather their own nest," the cop said as he led him off in handcuffs.

Correct answer: (a) feather

"You are going away for a long time, Bob. I will personally make sure you get the worst sentence possible. I can't stand people who steal from charitable organizations to build their own nest," the cop said as he led him off in handcuffs.
_________________________

Does to feather one's own nest mean to work to one's advantage in a negative way according to the example above?
Nenad11

Location: Belgrade

to feather one's own nest? #2 (permalink) Sat Sep 25, 2010 15:32 pm   to feather one's own nest?

to work for one's advantage without thought of others, yes.
_________________

Can you find all the prepositions in this story?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Learn how to explore English words! Subscribe to free email English course
to feather one's own nest? #3 (permalink) Wed Oct 20, 2010 18:00 pm   to feather one's own nest?

Does that mean: to do something on people's account ?
Puppet

to feather one's own nest? #4 (permalink) Wed Oct 20, 2010 18:19 pm   to feather one's own nest?

Not really puppet. When you 'feather your nest' you are only doing something for yourself. You are not thinking of others.
_________________

to feather one's own nest? #5 (permalink) Wed Oct 20, 2010 18:37 pm   to feather one's own nest?

You mean he was selfish.

Beeesneees,

thank you
Puppet

Test incompl/elem-269, Question 1Test incompl/elem-202, Question 1I really love our house. I'm so glad we bought it.difference between little and a fewwhich tense should be used when referring to two past actionsjust got done pimping out his rideDoes four-square mean completely?I have been a four-eyes?Does it mean that he thinks if he were seen to drink with some of his employees?What is the meaning of obliteration?left me some money in his will?Scream versus Cry'jump for' versus 'jump in' or 'jump on'