opposition; appeal; denial; protest
proliferation
source
objection
satisfaction

one of his cock and bull stories...

This test works are hard | sticking my neck out
one of his cock and bull stories... #1 (permalink) Sun Sep 26, 2010 10:35 am   one of his cock and bull stories...

The lawyer didn't believe the story given by the defendant at all. It was just another one of his ......... and bull stories.

(a) cowboy
(b) horse
(c) hunter
(d) cock

The lawyer didn't believe the story given by the defendant at all. It was just another one of his cock and bull stories.

Correct answer: (d) cock
_________________________

The lawyer didn't believe the story, he thinks that is a fairly-tale because the " cock and bull story " is a tale from Israel.
_________________

one of his cock and bull stories... #2 (permalink) Tue Sep 28, 2010 3:34 am   one of his cock and bull stories...

Hi Kati,

I don't know where you got that information from, but the English idiom, 'a cock and bull story' is unlikely to originate from Israel.
A cock and bull story is a term which can relate to any fanciful and unbelievable tale.
It is widely reported that the term derives from the rivalry between two old coaching inns in a town in Southern England. Apparently one Inn was named 'The Cock' and the other 'The Bull. The banter and rivalry between groups of travellers is said to have resulted in exaggerated and fanciful stories, which became known as 'cock and bull stories'.
Another theory, however, is that the term dates back further than this, and it's more likely that the phrase comes from 17th Century French/English folk tales that featured magical animals.
http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/cock%20and%20bull%20story.html
_________________

In this story you'll learn how to use the English articlesEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!How many different ways with words do you know? Subscribe to free email English course
to BZ #3 (permalink) Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:54 am   to BZ

Hello BZ,
I got my information from Webster's Online Dictionary with Multilingual Thesaurus Translation. They didn't receive an explanation which could be good for me but they
gave titles and just the first said this is a tale from Israel. Now I looked for this titled I read 10 pages / with about 100 titles/ without result, but there are much more pages, and I have to quit the searching.
However, I found a 'plot summary' on the Webster's page which explains this idiom. I If I had found this I didn't write anything about the meaning. Please, read it and you understand me.
And now all the pages explain the same thing what you wrote to me. You are right. But I didn't know where I find this explanation I used up. It seems that isn't an Israeli folktale but an English one.

It is very sticky.
Kati
_________________

to MZ #4 (permalink) Tue Sep 28, 2010 13:04 pm   to MZ

Hi MZ,

Your letter didn't steady me down so I wrote in the Goggle : "Is there an Israeli folk tale about 'cock and bull'? " I' ve got 51 pages which deals with this problem. I believe its source is English. I've got to know that there was a film with title: 'Cock and Bull' which went about Tristan Sandy's life.
Kati
_________________

one of his cock and bull stories... #5 (permalink) Tue Sep 28, 2010 14:08 pm   one of his cock and bull stories...

I'm glad it's been cleared up, Kati.
_________________

one of his cock and bull stories... #6 (permalink) Tue Sep 28, 2010 16:38 pm   one of his cock and bull stories...

cock and bull stories=incredible stories/fishy stories, tall tales
_________________

one of his cock and bull stories... #7 (permalink) Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:52 pm   one of his cock and bull stories...

Hello Bz.
I am convinced that this idiom is originated Stony Statford from the 18/19 century.

But there are competing theories about origins of "cock and bull stories "

www.cockandbull.UK

Best regards:
Kati
_________________

the Philippines.She needs wateras strong as its weakest link.a fool and his moneya day late and a dollar shortat a discountgrammarhe had taken the right decisionI got my mojo workin'Don't you think that's a bit much?fool's gold is the name of iron pyrites...Phrase: It might rain tomorrow.Meaning of "no dice" and "off the cuff"