to cover with a thin layer of metal; to coat with metal
segment
plate
style
boost

Why here you say close and not shut

"before" is for time only | What is the difference between "when" and "if"?
Why here you say close and not shut #1 (permalink) Thu Feb 09, 2006 21:34 pm   Why here you say close and not shut

ESL/EFL Test #10 "Close/Shut", question 9

The new musical that has had such bad reviews will ......... at the end of this week.

(a) close
(b) closed
(c) shut
(d) shuts

ESL/EFL Test #10 "Close/Shut", answer 9

The new musical that has had such bad reviews will close at the end of this week.

Correct answer: (a) close

The new musical that has had such bad reviews will shut at the end of this week.
_________________________

hi! i would like to know why here you say close and not shut. I this shut/close test is really costing me! Else.. what does it means to "shut off"??

thank you
Peter
Peter

Why here you say close and not shut #2 (permalink) Fri Feb 10, 2006 0:01 am   Why here you say close and not shut

.
Close has this meaning which shut does not: finish or terminate (meetings, speeches, etc.).

Shut off = turn off.

Don't give up-- keep challenging our?? tests!
.
_________________

Want to learn about the future tenses? Read this story and smileEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is all you want to know about English! Click to subscribe to free email English course
Shut/close #3 (permalink) Fri Feb 10, 2006 10:23 am   Shut/close

Hi Peter,

The reason why I chose close in this sentence is because it has the sense of coming to an end whereas the more physical idea of shut would not work here. In this context the musical show is no longer going to run and so it is closing and if the theatre is not offering any more shows, you could say that the theatre is shutting - the doors will be shut.

_________________

Expression: "behind your back"Expression "wonderfully dry sense of humour"Difference between DRY UP and DRY OUTThreat vs. peril and dangerI don't know what to fill inMeaning of appointRECONCILED vs. MATCHEDWhy "the others" and not "others"What does fluently mean?What's the meaning of stiff?Meaning of slipMeaning of ERRORMeaning of BLUNDER