Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

politeness; good manners; cordiality; civility
courtesy
treat
court
diversification
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

Why to save and no saving?

ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
Different strokes for different folks | Farmers use tractors
listening exercises
Why to save and no saving? #1 (permalink) Fri Feb 10, 2006 0:58 am   Why to save and no saving?

Common Errors in English, Advanced Level

ESL/EFL Test #14 "Gerunds and Prepositions", question 10

You must really make an effort; stop making excuses and try saving some money each month from wages this year.

(a) must
(b) making
(c) saving
(d) wages

Common Errors in English, Advanced Level

ESL/EFL Test #14 "Gerunds and Prepositions", answer 10

You must really make an effort; stop making excuses and try to save some money each month from wages this year.

Correct entry: to save
The error was: (c) saving

Your answer was: n/a

why to save and no saving?

Jojo
Jojo

Try #2 (permalink) Fri Feb 10, 2006 10:08 am   Try

Hi,

If you try to do something, then you are making an effort because it is usually something difficult. If you try doing something, you do it as an experiment to see whether something is possible.In this test sentence it should be try to save because here you need to make an effort.

Alan
Co-founder
Alan Townend

How do you use the English Prepositions correctly?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is all you want to know about English! Click to subscribe to free email English course
Why to save and no saving? #3 (permalink) Wed May 12, 2010 11:38 am   Why to save and no saving?

"try to save some money each month from wages this year". If it is hardly possible for the given person to do this thing at all, why to suggest doing it repeatedly?

It is the same as saying "try to jump out of the window each month this year". For me it does sound like the speaker is inviting the other person to make a kind of experiment. Hence, try saving is more appropriate. What do you say?
Peter3791

Re: Try #4 (permalink) Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:27 pm   Re: Try

When you say 'monthly' it has to be salary and wages is paid on daily basis. Please correct me.
Ranjitha
RanjithaDinesh

Different strokes for different folks | Farmers use tractors
ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
Is my questions are correct?how much the buyers can afford to spend.closing a sale.listings-agreementsmaintain their language skills.an upright piece of furnituredeep pockets and short armsCorrect my paragraph pleasegrammarthe youngest child.Are you sure about that?the die is castHis devil-may-care attitude