Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

to plan; to design; to imagine; to conceive; to envision
conceptualize
use
box
balance
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

Does on friendly footing mean on friendly basis?

ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
Certain lanes are often designated for customers? | to swim vs. swimming
listening exercises
Does on friendly footing mean on friendly basis? #1 (permalink) Thu Sep 30, 2010 16:37 pm   Does on friendly footing mean on friendly basis?

English Language Tests, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #353 "English Slang Idioms (74)", question 4

"Well, you are on friendly ......... here. You have been here a year now and you are in the top ten percent of our employees," the boss told him during his performance evaluation.

(a) marriage
(b) footing
(c) relations
(d) ejection

English Language Tests, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #353 "English Slang Idioms (74)", answer 4

"Well, you are on friendly footing here. You have been here a year now and you are in the top ten percent of our employees," the boss told him during his performance evaluation.

Correct answer: (b) footing

Your answer was: incorrect
"Well, you are on friendly relations here. You have been here a year now and you are in the top ten percent of our employees," the boss told him during his performance evaluation.

Does on friendly footing mean on friendly basis?
Nenad11
I'm here quite often ;-)

Does on friendly footing mean on friendly basis? #2 (permalink) Thu Sep 30, 2010 21:38 pm   Does on friendly footing mean on friendly basis?

Yes, on good terms.
I'm here quite often ;-)
Linda Arlia

Do you know how to use the relative pronoun?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Start exploring the English language today! Subscribe to free email English course
Does on friendly footing mean on friendly basis? #3 (permalink) Wed Oct 20, 2010 15:53 pm   Does on friendly footing mean on friendly basis?

Hi,

Is ''friendly footing'' relevant to his job accopmlishments as a very active person showing on time and do his works as the way he's entrusted? or it's relevant to his ways with people around, like he gets along with them ok??

or they're both combination?
Puppet
I'm here quite often ;-)

Does on friendly footing mean on friendly basis? #4 (permalink) Wed Oct 20, 2010 18:26 pm   Does on friendly footing mean on friendly basis?

No, puppet. The meaning is above.
Language Coach

Does on friendly footing mean on friendly basis? #5 (permalink) Wed Oct 20, 2010 18:33 pm   Does on friendly footing mean on friendly basis?

Hi Beeesneees,

The meaning still not clear to me. Is being ""friendly footing"" something has to do with his work achievments, his morals with the crew ?
Puppet
I'm here quite often ;-)

Does on friendly footing mean on friendly basis? #6 (permalink) Wed Oct 20, 2010 20:05 pm   Does on friendly footing mean on friendly basis?

Friendly footing does not necessarily have anything to do with work.
Language Coach

Does on friendly footing mean on friendly basis? #7 (permalink) Wed Oct 20, 2010 20:31 pm   Does on friendly footing mean on friendly basis?

Beeesneees,

Thank you..
Puppet
I'm here quite often ;-)

Does on friendly footing mean on friendly basis? #8 (permalink) Sat Oct 30, 2010 4:27 am   Does on friendly footing mean on friendly basis?

Again,

I've got mixed up. Does freindly footing mean; to get along ok ?

I need help.
Puppet
I'm here quite often ;-)

Does on friendly footing mean on friendly basis? #9 (permalink) Sat Oct 30, 2010 10:27 am   Does on friendly footing mean on friendly basis?

Yes - on good terms.
Language Coach

Does on friendly footing mean on friendly basis? #10 (permalink) Sun Oct 31, 2010 2:32 am   Does on friendly footing mean on friendly basis?

Now I got it.

Thank you Beee again.
Puppet
I'm here quite often ;-)

Certain lanes are often designated for customers? | to swim vs. swimming
ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on English Forums
fine words butter no parsnipsthe succeeding yearsOurs has sprung a leakSam and Jennifer's parents?use of 'that'He used to drink?As soon as he gets backIs the phrase 'I turned' slang?Is she going to the restaurant after work?increased considerablyExpression: You are quick to act, to seize an opportunity"at least 150" or "(much) more than 150"?meaning of break up, break off, break away, break down