Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

case in a court of law brought by one party against another; legal claim
space
tension
lawsuit
daily
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

Question tag: she does, does she?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
as mad as a badger | Question tags
listening exercises
Question tag: she does, does she? #1 (permalink) Sat Feb 11, 2006 23:51 pm   Question tag: she does, does she?

English Grammar Tests, Elementary Level

ESL/EFL Test #36 "Question Tags (2)", question 5

Sarah: 'She hates the sight of him.'
Paul: '.........'

(a) She did, did she?
(b) She does, does she?
(c) She hates, does she?
(d) She doesn't hate, does she?

English Grammar Tests, Elementary Level

ESL/EFL Test #36 "Question Tags (2)", answer 5

Sarah: 'She hates the sight of him.'
Paul: 'She does, does she?'

Correct answer: (b) She does, does she?

It should be: She does, doesn't she?

harry
harry

Question tag #2 (permalink) Sun Feb 12, 2006 9:40 am   Question tag

Hi,

In this sentence the question tag isn't an agreement with the first speaker's remark but merely an indication of surprise.

Alan
Co-founder
Alan Townend

Do you know how to use the relative pronoun?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Sign up for FREE and explore English! Click to subscribe to email English course
Question tag: she does, does she? #3 (permalink) Wed Feb 18, 2009 6:42 am   Question tag: she does, does she?

But it is confusing.
Chami

Question tag: she does, does she? #4 (permalink) Thu Mar 26, 2009 16:18 pm   Question tag: she does, does she?

hello alan . thanks for your wonderful explanation. I am an english teacher so I teach question tag in class. but its my first time to know that it's possible for the tag q to be possitive as
she does ,does she? or
Iam ,am I?
I KNOW they are
she does , doesnot she?
what do you think? please answer me quickly. I raelly want to understand this grammar
thanks
Sasooo
I'm new here and I like it ;-)

Question tag: she does, does she? #5 (permalink) Thu Mar 26, 2009 16:47 pm   Question tag: she does, does she?

Please activate Javascript in your browser to listen to this audio recording

183 Listened
Download mp3 Click to listen

Hi Sasooo,

You are right when you say that the usual purpose of the question tag is to ask for affirmation as in: He said that,didn't he? or He didn't say that, did he?.

The use of double positive is a slight refinement because here the speaker wants to show surprise even sarcasm as well as seeking affirmation. Imagine Charlie is known to be very careful with his money and you have just been told that Charlie has paid for the meal both for himself and his friend. You are surprised and you say: Oh, he did, did he? That surprises me a lot.

Alan
Co-founder
Alan Townend

Question tag: she does, does she? #6 (permalink) Fri Jul 10, 2009 23:14 pm   Question tag: she does, does she?

Oh, I'm most grateful for that answer professor Allan. I think I understood at last! Oh, I did, did I? Surprise myself ^^.
Viator
I'm new here and I like it ;-)

Question tag: she does, does she? #7 (permalink) Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:26 am   Question tag: she does, does she?

Hi, Mr. Alan,

Just like another student, it is new thing for me learning this kind of question tag. But your explanation help us so helpful. Thanks. ;)

Mr. Alan, is it "sight of him" a kind of phrase? what is it mean?
Ifra

Question tag: she does, does she? #8 (permalink) Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:52 am   Question tag: she does, does she?

Hi Ifra,

Does your question refer to the expression: I didn't catch sight of him? If it does, then this means: I didn't see him.

Let me know if that is what you wanted.

Alan
Co-founder
Alan Townend

Question tag: she does, does she? #9 (permalink) Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:00 am   Question tag: she does, does she?

Thank you so much for your reply, Mr. Alan.
I'm sorry I didn't tell you the complete expression, it is: She hates the sight of him.
Is it the same meaning in your reply?

I'm most grateful for your answer Mr. Alan,
Ifra

Question tag: she does, does she? #10 (permalink) Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:04 am   Question tag: she does, does she?

Hi,

This sentence:
Quote:
She hates the sight of him
means that she hates him so much that she really can't look at him any more. It is a strong expression of dislike.

Alan
Co-founder
Alan Townend

Question tag: she does, does she? #11 (permalink) Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:52 am   Question tag: she does, does she?

Thank you for your kindness Mr. Alan,
Ifra

Question tag: she does, does she? #12 (permalink) Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:55 am   Question tag: she does, does she?

Dear Alan,
Would you please explain about intonation of question tags? Which is up or down?

Question tag: she does, does she? #13 (permalink) Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:59 pm   Question tag: she does, does she?

123 Listened

Hi Mitra,

Listen to these:

He understands, doesn't he?

He doesn't understand, does, he?

Oh, you understand, do you?

Alan
Co-founder
Alan Townend

Question tag: she does, does she? #14 (permalink) Fri Apr 30, 2010 17:44 pm   Question tag: she does, does she?

Dear Alan,
Thanks a lot for your explanation but I studied tag question in 'New Headway’ in there about tag question explained The meaning of a question tag depends on how you say it. If the tag falls, the speaker expects people to agree with him/her and if the tag rises, the speaker is asking for confirmation. The speaker thinks he/she knows the answer, but isn’t absolutely sure. Would you please tell me about that and also in form1that two parts are affirmative?
With regard
Mitra

Question tag: she does, does she? #15 (permalink) Fri Apr 30, 2010 19:24 pm   Question tag: she does, does she?

108 Listened

Hi Mitra,

What you have said about question tags is broadly true but I think you can take the point about intonation too far because any rising tone is regarded as a full question in the sense of : Do you agree with me? The whole point of the conventional tag is to affirm what you have said in the main sentence.

A difference is apparent in the double affirmative. The idea behind this is that the speaker is speaking with a note of sarcasm or irritation as in: He thinks he knows what he's talking about, does he? Well, I think I shall have to tell him that he's talking rubbish because he clearly doesn't know what he's talking about.

I hope that clarifies.

Alan
Co-founder
Alan Townend

as mad as a badger | Question tags
ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Latest topics on English Forums
He had a drinking problem for a while and is now on the wagonon the wagonthrow off the scent/trackhe had an air-tight alibi and told him that he was off the hookJust the thought of eating fish made her flesh crawl.Meaning of the phrase "to signify expanding"?it was in his best interest to make a clean breast of his crimeslowering one's sights from post graduate studies and doctoral workGot to keep you sharp. Just trying to keep you on your toes.to keep his creditors at bayI am glad that he got his just desserts.Use of "slip"Question tag: she does, does she?, page 2