Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

to ask for an identification (i.e. in a bar)
fetch
card
grasp
drop
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

Verb "to do" vs. doing

ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
indirectly controlled by, controlling or under common control with such Party | ottoman vs desk
listening exercises
Verb "to do" vs. doing #1 (permalink) Mon Feb 13, 2006 21:09 pm   Verb "to do" vs. doing

English Language Proficiency Tests, Advanced Level

ESL/EFL Test #117 "Past Tenses", question 9

He actually denied ......... anything of the sort.

(a) to do
(b) done
(c) did
(d) doing

English Language Proficiency Tests, Advanced Level

ESL/EFL Test #117 "Past Tenses", answer 9

He actually denied doing anything of the sort.

Correct answer: (d) doing

Your answer was: incorrect
He actually denied to do anything of the sort.

i do not understand why the correct answer is * doing*

Ivo
Ivo

Verb "to do" vs. doing #2 (permalink) Tue Feb 14, 2006 7:56 am   Verb "to do" vs. doing

We need a gerund object of deny. Many verbs do not take an infinitive object, and deny is one of them.

If the verb had been love, then either answer would serve:

He loved doing / to do anything of that sort.

Can you find all the prepositions in this story?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Learn how to explore English words! Subscribe to free email English course
Verb "to do" vs. doing #3 (permalink) Wed Dec 19, 2012 0:40 am   Verb "to do" vs. doing

Mister, could you mention other verbs that require gerund object and why it happens? Regards.
Cristovam
I'm here quite often ;-)

indirectly controlled by, controlling or under common control with such Party | ottoman vs desk
ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
How long have you worked here (at this place) as a city planner (in this job).I need your expense reports on my desk and on the double.on the alertMeaning of 'chip chop'?take off: remove fromWhen we know the answer do we write it or do we click on it?What is a mover?Meaning of "to finally tie the knot"?What does this expression mean: it comes down to?meaning of drainIdiom: 'grasp it at the first time'What's wrong in using faintest idea?Is time correct?