to ask for an identification (i.e. in a bar)
fetch
card
grasp
drop

Verb "to do" vs. doing

indirectly controlled by, controlling or under common control with such Party | ottoman vs desk
Verb "to do" vs. doing #1 (permalink) Mon Feb 13, 2006 21:09 pm   Verb "to do" vs. doing

ESL/EFL Test #117 "Past Tenses", question 9

He actually denied ......... anything of the sort.

(a) to do
(b) done
(c) did
(d) doing

ESL/EFL Test #117 "Past Tenses", answer 9

He actually denied doing anything of the sort.

Correct answer: (d) doing

He actually denied to do anything of the sort.
_________________________

i do not understand why the correct answer is * doing*

Ivo
Ivo

Verb "to do" vs. doing #2 (permalink) Tue Feb 14, 2006 7:56 am   Verb "to do" vs. doing

.
We need a gerund object of deny. Many verbs do not take an infinitive object, and deny is one of them.

If the verb had been love, then either answer would serve:

He loved doing / to do anything of that sort.
.
_________________

Can you find all the prepositions in this story?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Learn how to explore English words! Subscribe to free email English course
Verb "to do" vs. doing #3 (permalink) Wed Dec 19, 2012 0:40 am   Verb "to do" vs. doing

Mister, could you mention other verbs that require gerund object and why it happens? Regards.
Cristovam

How long have you worked here (at this place) as a city planner (in this job).I need your expense reports on my desk and on the double.on the alertMeaning of 'chip chop'?take off: remove fromWhen we know the answer do we write it or do we click on it?What is a mover?Meaning of "to finally tie the knot"?What does this expression mean: it comes down to?meaning of drainIdiom: 'grasp it at the first time'What's wrong in using faintest idea?Is time correct?