list of terms and definitions (usually at the end of a book); dictionary of technical or specific terms
midday
manual
glossary
reject

Meaning of "over the cracks"

Phrase "Are you going to wait any longer" | Why don't we use will or could?
Meaning of "over the cracks" #1 (permalink) Tue Feb 14, 2006 12:52 pm   Meaning of "over the cracks"

ESL/EFL Test #116 "Paper expressions", question 2

They've tried to keep the truth from you but nothing's changed as all they've done is paper ......... the cracks.

(a) across
(b) in
(c) up
(d) over

ESL/EFL Test #116 "Paper expressions", answer 2

They've tried to keep the truth from you but nothing's changed as all they've done is paper over the cracks.

Correct answer: (d) over

_________________________

what does over the cracks mean?

Gella
Gella

Paper over the tracks #2 (permalink) Tue Feb 14, 2006 19:54 pm   Paper over the tracks

Hi Gella,

This expression describes how people sometimes try to hide/conceal what has really happened and do all they can to make averything look perfectly normal. There is a similar expression: sweep everything under the carpet.

_________________

In this story you'll learn everything about the passive voiceEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!This newsletter tells you all about English! Subscribe to free email English course
Meaning of "over the cracks" #3 (permalink) Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:34 am   Meaning of "over the cracks"

Thanks for the meaning!
Caracol

Meaning of "over the cracks" #4 (permalink) Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:26 am   Meaning of "over the cracks"

Do you think the sentence should be "all they've done is to paper ......... the cracks."
Oad

Meaning of "over the cracks" #5 (permalink) Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:22 am   Meaning of "over the cracks"

Oad, I think the same, could please help us any of the teachers?

Meaning of "over the cracks" #6 (permalink) Thu Sep 29, 2011 20:25 pm   Meaning of "over the cracks"

'to' is not necessary.
_________________

redundancyRight just one morewhat is the difference?What does 'bring forward' mean?Meaning of "bring off""come up with" vs "come across"holding meetings and delivering papersMeaning of "bring over" and "bring to"Could OR can?The meaning of the verb "to come by"Meaning of 'znooze'Commence vs. StartFall asleep - slumber?