act of quitting a position; letter stating that one quits a position; relinquishment
effort
paradigm
resignation
traveler

Suited vs. fitted

Meaning of "paper tiger" | Meaning of peril
Suited vs. fitted #1 (permalink) Wed Feb 15, 2006 3:13 am   Suited vs. fitted

Synonym Search, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #107 "Synonyms for fit and adapt", question 3

Mary ......... her skirt and left the room proudly.

(a) fitted
(b) adapted
(c) adjusted
(d) suited

Synonym Search, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #107 "Synonyms for fit and adapt", answer 3

Mary suited her skirt and left the room proudly.

Correct answer: (d) suited

Mary fitted her skirt and left the room proudly.
_________________________

I can't understand why (suited) is the right answer instead of (fitted) for this question.

Thank You

Keor
Keor

Fit vs. suit #2 (permalink) Wed Feb 15, 2006 8:22 am   Fit vs. suit

Dear learner,
In fact, the correct answer for this sentence is "adjust". There must be some technical mistake in the uploading of the test.
Anyway, the answer cannot be fit, because the meaning of fit is to be/ make the proper size and shape. For example, if shoes fit you, they are your size, or a tailor can fit trousers by shortening them so that they become your size.
Fit can also be used for things you don't see and touch - for example, if you are sad and you're listening to sad music you can say that this music fits your mood.
You can also fit together pieces of a jigsaw (puzzle); a key can fit the lock, meaning that this is the right key to open the door, and so on.
In this example, Mary doesn't need to fit her skirt because obviously the skirt is her size (she is wearing it). She adjusted it (maybe smoothed it over to remove the creases) before leaving the room.
Daniela
_________________
English Language Learning Online
Learn English with Daniela
Daniela
Daniela Encheva

Location: Bulgaria

Learn some cool expressions in the following cool storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!How many different ways with words do you know? Subscribe to free email English course
Verge vs. versePacing vs. walkingSounds without likeCompensation vs. benefitDifference between lives and inhabitsYou can be sureDifference between Burglar and BanditIdiom: "catch 22"Meaning of offendChant vs. singMeaning of notionDifference between expense and expenditureIdiom: devil take the hindmost