tiny; extremely small; trivial; petty; accurate
minute
traditional
meticulous
choice

Idiom: "quick off the mark"

What is "stores mark down their prices"? | Is "immaculate" an error?
Idiom: "quick off the mark" #1 (permalink) Fri Feb 17, 2006 23:09 pm   Idiom: "quick off the mark"

English Idioms and Expressions, Advanced Level

ESL/EFL Test #25 "Mark Idioms", question 4

There wasn't much time to waste and in order to secure a place, you had to be quick off the mark.

(a) ready in the queue
(b) aware in the queue
(c) be first in the queue
(d) be along in the queue

ESL/EFL Test #25 "Mark Idioms", answer 4

There wasn't much time to waste and in order to secure a place, you had to be be first in the queue.

Correct answer: (c) be first in the queue

There wasn't much time to waste and in order to secure a place, you had to be be along in the queue.
_________________________

Idiom: "quick off the mark"
What is quick off?

Elga
Elga

Quick off the mark #2 (permalink) Fri Feb 17, 2006 23:28 pm   Quick off the mark

This means quick to get away first from the starting point as in a race.

_________________

Want to learn about the future tenses? Read this story and smileEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!This newsletter tells you all about English! Subscribe to free email English course
Quick off the mark #3 (permalink) Sat Feb 18, 2006 1:04 am   Quick off the mark

The mark is the starting line in chalk. You put your fingers on it before you start to race. This is where quick off the mark comes from. Another form of it is quick off the block. The block in this case is the peg or block in the ground and upon which you place your foot when you are ready to start a race.

People should place pictures against idioms, they are then far easier to understand.

So whats your picture for raining cats an dogs

Rob
Onlineenglish

Location: Germany

Quick off the mark #4 (permalink) Wed Dec 13, 2006 5:36 am   Quick off the mark

I can't really 'place a picture' against:

quick off the mark (quick to get away first from the starting point) = first in the queue

I think people can try to be or actually succeed in being the first to start off just as in a race but there is no guarantee to make the first starter become the first in the queue. Maybe I have had a bad understanding for the sentence.

Rob wrote:

I really have no picture for the idiom.

haihao
Haihao

Location: Japan

Idiom: "quick off the mark" #5 (permalink) Wed Dec 13, 2006 20:38 pm   Idiom: "quick off the mark"

You seem to delight in challenging every answer almost for the sake of it. I am sure you understand the spirit of the expression and the description of it.

_________________

Idiom: "quick off the mark" #6 (permalink) Thu Dec 14, 2006 2:20 am   Idiom: "quick off the mark"

Thank you very much all the time for your ever and again convincing and exhilarating interpretations for me.

But I didn't really delight in challenging the answers (although they are very challenging :)) but maybe a little bit too much treated them like a 'life and death' and wanted them to be a 'black and white'.

haihao
Haihao

Location: Japan

Expression: get hitchedHe's just not the same person any more...Expression: 'a peak'Punctuation questionQuestions about infinitivesOn time vs. in timeStare vs. watchComma questionSpecial cardstock vs. specialty cardstockExpression: to be out of somethingIdiom: take eggs for moneyMeaning of 'make hay'Simple past vs. past perfect