Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

to devote to; to set apart for; to inscribe (a book, poem, song, story, etc.) to someone
realize
deposit
dedicate
recommend
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

What does 'out of love' mean?

ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
What is a crop duster? | What does "look into" mean?
listening exercises
What does 'out of love' mean? #1 (permalink) Mon Oct 25, 2010 17:54 pm   What does 'out of love' mean?

English Language Proficiency Tests, Advanced Level

ESL/EFL Test #649 "Prepositional Phrases - In, On, Out and Under (22)", question 6

I know you are mad at your mom for talking to your girlfriend about your relationship. She just did it ......... of love; she knows you won't talk to your girlfriend about what you told Mom and she thought it would help your relationship.

(a) in
(b) on
(c) out
(d) under

English Language Proficiency Tests, Advanced Level

ESL/EFL Test #649 "Prepositional Phrases - In, On, Out and Under (22)", answer 6

I know you are mad at your mom for talking to your girlfriend about your relationship. She just did it out of love; she knows you won't talk to your girlfriend about what you told Mom and she thought it would help your relationship.

Correct answer: (c) out

Your answer was: incorrect
I know you are mad at your mom for talking to your girlfriend about your relationship. She just did it under of love; she knows you won't talk to your girlfriend about what you told Mom and she thought it would help your relationship.

hello..

i do not really understand this answer. why is it out of love, if she actually did it for good, because she loves him.
Outly

What does 'out of love' mean? #2 (permalink) Mon Oct 25, 2010 18:34 pm   What does 'out of love' mean?

'out of love' means a similar thing to 'for love'
Similar expressions include
out of loyalty
out of respect
out of hatred
Language Coach

What do you know about the progressive forms?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!This newsletter tells you all about English! Subscribe to free email English course
What does 'out of love' mean? #3 (permalink) Mon Oct 25, 2010 19:10 pm   What does 'out of love' mean?

Hi Outly,

The sense of 'out of' is the same as 'for reasons of'.

Alan
Co-founder
Alan Townend

What is a crop duster? | What does "look into" mean?
ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
Is the word thoughts a noun?Contact as a transitive verb...run throughWhat is a good Going-over?I may taste really awful?callous vs. thoughtfulA memorial service will be heldunder agecathousesSo "federal holiday" and "bank holidays" are the same thing,He swung the batbecame bored up vs. got boredMeaning of gallon