Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

forward movement; progress; promotion
advancement
bank
crop
internal
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

Diffrence between another and "the other"

ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
Why stands instead of calm? | Waiting outside in the car? Or "around in the car"?
listening exercises
Diffrence between another and "the other" #1 (permalink) Tue Feb 21, 2006 12:24 pm   Diffrence between another and "the other"

English Grammar Tests, Elementary Level

ESL/EFL Test #74 "Other, another, others, the others", question 5

My friend has two cars. One is black and ......... is red.

(a) another
(b) the other
(c) the others
(d) others

English Grammar Tests, Elementary Level

ESL/EFL Test #74 "Other, another, others, the others", answer 5

My friend has two cars. One is black and the other is red.

Correct answer: (b) the other

diffrence betwen another and the other

Jojo
Jojo

Diffrence between another and "the other" #2 (permalink) Wed Feb 22, 2006 0:56 am   Diffrence between another and "the other"

another - not specific, same as any A or AN other thing.

the other - specific, refers to "the" only other(s) possible options(s).
Caroline
I'm new here and I like it ;-)
Caroline Binda

Can you find all the prepositions in this story?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Read these English anecdotes and maybe smile today? Subscribe to free email English course
Diffrence between another and "the other" #3 (permalink) Tue Jul 21, 2009 17:34 pm   Diffrence between another and "the other"

hi iam Hung. the first time i did this exercise i felt embarrassing, i only got 6 correct sentences athough i tried to choose. And finally i felt it was ok. for example, if we have five books : a red book, a blue book, a pink book, a white book and a yellow book.
+ if we only mention a red book and a pink book and we don't mention a white book, a yellow book and a blue book, so we have to use: ANOTHER
ex1:There are five books: one is a red and ANOTHER is pink .
+ if we only mention about a red book, a pink book, a white book and we don't mention about blue book and yellow book. so we have to use :SOME OTHERS
ex2:there are five books: one is red and SOME OTHERS ARE pink and white.
+if we only have two books: a red book and a white book so we have to use THE OTHER
ex3: there are two books: one is red and the other is white.
that is all. i hope my examples can help you.
enjoy your life!
Tranthihung

Diffrence between another and "the other" #4 (permalink) Fri Mar 19, 2010 16:16 pm   Diffrence between another and "the other"

Dear Torsten,

I am sorry to let you know that I am still confused between another and "the other". I would like to know the difference, please kindly explain.

Best regards,
Penny
Penny

Diffrence between another and "the other" #5 (permalink) Wed Sep 26, 2012 17:57 pm   Diffrence between another and "the other"

Is there any golden rule pertaining to the use of other and another. I'm always confused between them. It would be a great help if you can direct me towards the proper usage.
Ajay Nahta
I'm here quite often ;-)

Diffrence between another and "the other" #6 (permalink) Wed Sep 26, 2012 22:33 pm   Diffrence between another and "the other"

Please see message #2 above.
Language Coach

Diffrence between another and "the other" #7 (permalink) Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:38 am   Diffrence between another and "the other"

Beeesneees wrote:

Thanx
Ajay Nahta
I'm here quite often ;-)

Diffrence between another and "the other" #8 (permalink) Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:39 am   Diffrence between another and "the other"

Beeesneees wrote:

Thanx
Ajay Nahta
I'm here quite often ;-)

Why stands instead of calm? | Waiting outside in the car? Or "around in the car"?
ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
Steven held up a convenience store last week.Your little girl usually cries to get her way...Explain "an all-time high"What is meaning of "knock at"?Why "put up" is not cinsidered as a viable option here?meaning of "to crack a bottle"difference between the use of site and placedifference between "severe" and "strict"Assignment vs. testWhy can't I use "appeared in our home" here?After vs. laterWe went swim every dayTo bite the dust