forward movement; progress; promotion
advancement
bank
crop
internal

Diffrence between another and "the other"

Why stands instead of calm? | Waiting outside in the car? Or "around in the car"?
Diffrence between another and "the other" #1 (permalink) Tue Feb 21, 2006 12:24 pm   Diffrence between another and "the other"

ESL/EFL Test #74 "Other, another, others, the others", question 5

My friend has two cars. One is black and ......... is red.

(a) another
(b) the other
(c) the others
(d) others

ESL/EFL Test #74 "Other, another, others, the others", answer 5

My friend has two cars. One is black and the other is red.

Correct answer: (b) the other
_________________________

diffrence betwen another and the other

Jojo
Jojo

Diffrence between another and "the other" #2 (permalink) Wed Feb 22, 2006 0:56 am   Diffrence between another and "the other"

another - not specific, same as any A or AN other thing.

the other - specific, refers to "the" only other(s) possible options(s).
Caroline
Caroline Binda

Location: United States

Can you find all the prepositions in this story?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Read these English anecdotes and maybe smile today? Subscribe to free email English course
Diffrence between another and "the other" #3 (permalink) Tue Jul 21, 2009 17:34 pm   Diffrence between another and "the other"

hi iam Hung. the first time i did this exercise i felt embarrassing, i only got 6 correct sentences athough i tried to choose. And finally i felt it was ok. for example, if we have five books : a red book, a blue book, a pink book, a white book and a yellow book.
+ if we only mention a red book and a pink book and we don't mention a white book, a yellow book and a blue book, so we have to use: ANOTHER
ex1:There are five books: one is a red and ANOTHER is pink .
+ if we only mention about a red book, a pink book, a white book and we don't mention about blue book and yellow book. so we have to use :SOME OTHERS
ex2:there are five books: one is red and SOME OTHERS ARE pink and white.
+if we only have two books: a red book and a white book so we have to use THE OTHER
ex3: there are two books: one is red and the other is white.
that is all. i hope my examples can help you.
enjoy your life!
Tranthihung

Diffrence between another and "the other" #4 (permalink) Fri Mar 19, 2010 16:16 pm   Diffrence between another and "the other"

Dear Torsten,

I am sorry to let you know that I am still confused between another and "the other". I would like to know the difference, please kindly explain.

Best regards,
Penny
Penny

Location: California

Diffrence between another and "the other" #5 (permalink) Wed Sep 26, 2012 17:57 pm   Diffrence between another and "the other"

Is there any golden rule pertaining to the use of other and another. I'm always confused between them. It would be a great help if you can direct me towards the proper usage.
Ajay Nahta

Diffrence between another and "the other" #6 (permalink) Wed Sep 26, 2012 22:33 pm   Diffrence between another and "the other"

Please see message #2 above.
_________________

Diffrence between another and "the other" #7 (permalink) Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:38 am   Diffrence between another and "the other"

Beeesneees wrote:
Please see message #2 above.

Thanx
Ajay Nahta

Diffrence between another and "the other" #8 (permalink) Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:39 am   Diffrence between another and "the other"

Beeesneees wrote:
Please see message #2 above.

Thanx
Ajay Nahta

Steven held up a convenience store last week.Your little girl usually cries to get her way...Explain "an all-time high"What is meaning of "knock at"?Why "put up" is not cinsidered as a viable option here?meaning of "to crack a bottle"difference between the use of site and placedifference between "severe" and "strict"Assignment vs. testWhy can't I use "appeared in our home" here?After vs. laterWe went swim every dayTo bite the dust