honest; straightforward; open; frank
ideal
tantamount
average
candid

bring up the elephant in the room?

Learned or learnt | early retirement
bring up the elephant in the room? #1 (permalink) Sun Oct 31, 2010 14:13 pm   bring up the elephant in the room?

They breached their contract with him last week, but no one mentioned it at all during their dinner. Neither party wanted to be the first to bring up the ......... in the room.

(a) ghost
(b) shadow
(c) monster
(d) elephant

They breached their contract with him last week, but no one mentioned it at all during their dinner. Neither party wanted to be the first to bring up the elephant in the room.

Correct answer: (d) elephant

They breached their contract with him last week, but no one mentioned it at all during their dinner. Neither party wanted to be the first to bring up the ghost in the room.
_________________________

Hi! What is the meaning of "bring up the elephant"?
Thank you in advance! Best regards,Oinas.
Oinas

Location: Finland

bring up the elephant in the room? #2 (permalink) Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:42 am   bring up the elephant in the room?

'Bring up' = mention
elephant in the room = a difficult situation that is very obvious but not discussed or addressed. The elephant in the room between couples is often money or what to do with aging parents.
_________________

What do you know about the progressive forms?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Start exploring the English language today! Subscribe to free email English course
Learned or learnt | early retirement
what does "rock and roll" mean?got her feathers in a bunchTurn on vs Switch onGet lost!bring out in peoplethe world is slowly becoming hotterDo come infine words butter no parsnipsthe succeeding yearsOurs has sprung a leakSam and Jennifer's parents?to swim vs. swimminguse of 'that'