Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

to impregnate; to inseminate; to enrich the soil by the addition of organic or chemical substances
call
fertilize
discard
idealize
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

fine words butter no parsnips

ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
Ours has sprung a leak | the succeeding years
listening exercises
fine words butter no parsnips #1 (permalink) Mon Nov 01, 2010 21:03 pm   fine words butter no parsnips

English Language Tests, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #349 "English Slang Idioms (70)", question 6

"That is great that you are planning on doing better in college than I did but fine ......... butter no parsnips," his sister reminded him.

(a) ideas
(b) plans
(c) words
(d) actions

English Language Tests, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #349 "English Slang Idioms (70)", answer 6

"That is great that you are planning on doing better in college than I did but fine words butter no parsnips," his sister reminded him.

Correct answer: (c) words

Your answer was: correct

Hi! What is the meaning of "fine words butter no parsnips"?Thank you in advance.With kind regards,Oinas.
Oinas
You can meet me at english-test.net

fine words butter no parsnips #2 (permalink) Mon Nov 01, 2010 21:31 pm   fine words butter no parsnips

This idiom means that words alone are useless, especially flattering phrases or fine promises, and you should judge people by what they do rather than by what they say.
Language Coach

How do you use the English Prepositions correctly?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!How many different ways with words do you know? Subscribe to free email English course
Ours has sprung a leak | the succeeding years
ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on English Forums
what does "rock and roll" mean?Get lost!early retirementbring out in peoplethe world is slowly becoming hotterDo come inbring up the elephant in the room?Sam and Jennifer's parents?to swim vs. swimminguse of 'that'Certain lanes are often designated for customers?As soon as he gets backDoes on friendly footing mean on friendly basis?