to use one's influence to affect people or circumstances
point
inhabit
leverage
delay

playing with a full deck of cards

odvious vs obvious | Test incompl/inter-292, Question 9
playing with a full deck of cards #1 (permalink) Wed Nov 03, 2010 16:14 pm   playing with a full deck of cards

He knew he couldn't make that decision until he had more information. He knew he wasn't ......... with a full deck of cards.

(a) shuffling
(b) gambling
(c) playing
(d) building

He knew he couldn't make that decision until he had more information. He knew he wasn't playing with a full deck of cards.

Correct answer: (c) playing
_________________________

I've mistaken because I thought of real card playing.And I can't really shuffle with a full deck /pack/ of cards I divide it into halves.

Now I found the solution:" not playing a full deck" is a derogatory phrase which allude to someone who is "having a bit missing" or "not all there" so to say it's a stupid figure. /from: The phrases finder/ I don't agree with this statement; instead I think:absent-minded. What is your opinion ?
_________________

playing with a full deck of cards #2 (permalink) Sun Nov 07, 2010 12:00 pm   playing with a full deck of cards

I agree. The idiom has another, more common meaning: simple-minded.
_________________

How do you use the English Prepositions correctly?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is how you can learn English the fun way! Click to subscribe to free email English course
playing with a full deck of cards #3 (permalink) Wed Nov 04, 2015 14:42 pm   playing with a full deck of cards

what does it mean:He knew he wasn't playing with a full deck of cards

I have found only:not be playing with a full deck.

playing with a full deck of cards #4 (permalink) Wed Nov 04, 2015 16:55 pm   playing with a full deck of cards

He is not playing with a full deck = he is simple minded.

Here, it appears that the test setter has decided that
not playing with a full deck of cards = not having all the information
As Mister Micawber points out, that is not the usual meaning and so it is a little misleading that it is used in that way.
_________________

Test 641 number 9 "you get what you pay for" vs "you get what youIt has stopped raining/the rain has stoppedWhat is the meaning of "hold any stock"?Do / Did you have to.................today?The use of groundsUrgent need.It's about nounsWatercolor pen?a little vs. a bitmeaning of "...it would take a hot minute..."why correct answer is road why not others?screen vs fritz'which of the names' vs. 'what of the names'"on earth" vs. "on the earth"