Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

person who falls prey (to an attack, deception, etc.)
victim
danger
cure
keep
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

'it is not impossible' vs. "there's a possibility"

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
Is there such an expression? | Watercolor pen?
listening exercises
'it is not impossible' vs. "there's a possibility" #31 (permalink) Mon Nov 24, 2014 13:19 pm   'it is not impossible' vs. "there's a possibility"

Anglophile wrote:
<Excuses snipped for brevity>

Thank you, Townend.

(PS: I have deliberately used Townend, Alan.)

This is all rather pathetic. My last word.
Language Coach

'it is not impossible' vs. "there's a possibility" #32 (permalink) Mon Nov 24, 2014 15:13 pm   'it is not impossible' vs. "there's a possibility"

Quote:
You are obviously not very familiar with modern practice in schools and universities across the country if you think this.
_________
________

OK so enlighten me - how does a tutor address undergraduates in a tutorial at Oxford these days?
Co-founder
Alan Townend

How do you use the English Prepositions correctly?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is how you can learn English the fun way! Click to subscribe to free email English course
'it is not impossible' vs. "there's a possibility" #33 (permalink) Mon Nov 24, 2014 16:58 pm   'it is not impossible' vs. "there's a possibility"

Quote:
<Excuses snipped for brevity>

Yes, you have discerned the allusion. It has hit the target!

Quote:
This is all rather pathetic.

This is all extremely conspicuously deplorable priggishness.

Quote:
My last word.

I wish it were!
I'm a Communicator ;-)

'it is not impossible' vs. "there's a possibility" #34 (permalink) Mon Nov 24, 2014 21:06 pm   'it is not impossible' vs. "there's a possibility"

Alan wrote:
Quote:
You are obviously not very familiar with modern practice in schools and universities across the country if you think this.
_________
________

OK so enlighten me - how does a tutor address undergraduates in a tutorial at Oxford these days?

I couldn't tell you about Oxford, but then again, I mentioned that as being one of the institutions with a 'highly considered reputation', so it's a moot point anyway. I was responding to this:

Quote:
I would have thought it was common practice in all schools but then I go back almost to the days of 'slates'. Likewise at universities I would have thought that formality prevailed and the students would be addressed as Ms/Mrs/Mr.

I would say Universities refer to students by first names when speaking to them. Some lecturers ask students to refer to them by their first names too.
Language Coach

'it is not impossible' vs. "there's a possibility" #35 (permalink) Mon Nov 24, 2014 21:12 pm   'it is not impossible' vs. "there's a possibility"

I think you're squirming again! You brought up the subject and specially mentioned Oxford. And I see you've changed from surname to first name. Confusing.
Co-founder
Alan Townend

'it is not impossible' vs. "there's a possibility" #36 (permalink) Tue Nov 25, 2014 0:09 am   'it is not impossible' vs. "there's a possibility"

No squirming and no confusion if you read the messages carefully.
Language Coach

Is there such an expression? | Watercolor pen?
ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
Latest topics on English Forums
Do / Did you have to.................today?The use of groundsUrgent need.It's about nounsTip into recessionHe's looking for two pucks, what's he looking for exactly?I can lend you some money until the end of the monthantiphonal singing or duet?How to email college admissions officea little vs. a bitIt's very hot: It's scorchingodvious vs obviousWhat is the difference between "end" and "end up"?'which of the names' vs. 'what of the names'