act of halting; visit; temporary residence; suspension of a legal proceeding
wallpaper
enlightenment
stay
interruption

the pedal to the metal

what do all these options mean like i's and others? | What does pass the buck mean?
the pedal to the metal #1 (permalink) Wed Nov 03, 2010 21:18 pm   the pedal to the metal

He decided that he could probably make it to Portland, Oregon in six hours if he drove with the pedal to the ..........

(a) tread
(b) metal
(c) carpet
(d) plastic

He decided that he could probably make it to Portland, Oregon in six hours if he drove with the pedal to the metal.

Correct answer: (b) metal
_________________________

tread?
English Learner

the pedal to the metal #2 (permalink) Thu Nov 04, 2010 14:29 pm   the pedal to the metal

Not 'tread'. Use your DICTIONARY to find the meanings of 'tread'.
_________________

Want to learn about the future tenses? Read this story and smileEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!This newsletter tells you all about English! Subscribe to free email English course
the pedal to the metal #3 (permalink) Sat Jul 27, 2013 20:07 pm   the pedal to the metal

The pedal to the metal = comes from the idea of pressing a car's gas pedal (a flat piece that you control with your foot) all the way to the floor to make the car go as fast as possible

Alan put the pedal to the metal and finished writing his essay a day early.
_________________

What are skyscrapers?What is skydiving?A butterfly is an animalhe was just skin and boneget on the trainstraight answer vs. right answerShe's as mad as a hatterWe all need to paddle our own canoe.She is a very nice person.back to the bullpenNew kid on the block?What does the idiom 'no dice' mean?'dream of hers' vs 'dream of her'