at an angle; obliquely; in a slanting direction
slantwise
originally
apparently
solely

Who was Jack o'Lanterns?

I think that both "throw a party" and "come a party" make... | Is infestation countable?
Who was Jack o'Lanterns? #1 (permalink) Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:25 am   Who was Jack o'Lanterns?

ESL/EFL Test #137 "Vocabulary Practice: Halloween (1)", question 5

People usually use the outer shells of these large vegetables as Halloween dcor. They scoop out the meaty part of the vegetables, carve out faces, put candles inside of them and then place them in a window or on a porch on Halloween. These are called ......... o'Lanterns.

(a) Tom
(b) Jordan
(c) George
(d) Jack

ESL/EFL Test #137 "Vocabulary Practice: Halloween (1)", answer 5

People usually use the outer shells of these large vegetables as Halloween dcor. They scoop out the meaty part of the vegetables, carve out faces, put candles inside of them and then place them in a window or on a porch on Halloween. These are called Jack o'Lanterns.

Correct answer: (d) Jack

People usually use the outer shells of these large vegetables as Halloween dcor. They scoop out the meaty part of the vegetables, carve out faces, put candles inside of them and then place them in a window or on a porch on Halloween. These are called Tom o'Lanterns.
_________________________

why Jack o'Lanterns. Will you please give me an explanation?

Thanks in advance
Harivony

Location: Madagascar

Who was Jack o'Lanterns? #2 (permalink) Tue Nov 09, 2010 4:23 am   Who was Jack o'Lanterns?

From Wikipedia:

An old Irish folk tale tells of Stingy Jack, a lazy yet shrewd farmer who uses a cross to trap the Devil. One story says that Jack tricked the Devil into climbing an apple tree, and once he was up there Jack quickly placed crosses around the trunk or carved a cross into the bark, so that the Devil couldn't get down. Another myth says that Jack put a key in the Devil's pocket while he was suspended upside-down.

Another version of the myth says that Jack was getting chased by some villagers from whom he had stolen, when he met the Devil, who claimed it was time for him to die. However, the thief stalled his death by tempting the Devil with a chance to bedevil the church-going villagers chasing him. Jack told the Devil to turn into a coin with which he would pay for the stolen goods (the Devil could take on any shape he wanted); later, when the coin/Devil disappeared, the Christian villagers would fight over who had stolen it. The Devil agreed to this plan. He turned himself into a silver coin and jumped into Jack's wallet, only to find himself next to a cross Jack had also picked up in the village. Jack had closed the wallet tight, and the cross stripped the Devil of his powers; and so he was trapped. In both myths, Jack only lets the Devil go when he agrees never to take his soul. After a while the thief died, as all living things do. Of course, his life had been too sinful for Jack to go to heaven; however, the Devil had promised not to take his soul, and so he was barred from hell as well. Jack now had nowhere to go. He asked how he would see where to go, as he had no light, and the Devil mockingly tossed him an ember that would never burn out from the flames of hell. Jack carved out one of his turnips (which was his favourite food), put the ember inside it, and began endlessly wandering the Earth for a resting place. He became known as "Jack of the Lantern", or Jack-o'-Lantern.

There are variations on the legend:

* Some versions include a "wise and good man", or even God helping Jack to prevail over the Devil.
* There are different versions of Jack's bargain with the Devil. Some variations say the deal was only temporary but the Devil, embarrassed and vengeful, refuses Jack entry to hell after Jack dies.
* Jack is considered a greedy man and is not allowed into either heaven or hell, without any mention of the Devil.
* In some variations, God gives Jack the turnip
* Jack tricks the Grim-Reaper into giving him eternal life, and in exchange, the reaper takes his head to hell with him. Jack then wanders the earth using a carved pumpkin for a head.
* An African-American variant holds that Jack, here called Big Sixteen, actually killed the Devil and was later refused entry to hell by the Devil's widow.

Despite the colourful legends, the term jack-o'-lantern originally meant a night watchman, or man with a lantern, with the earliest known use in the mid-17th century; and later, meaning an ignis fatuus or will-o'-the-wisp. In Newfoundland and Labrador, both names "Jacky Lantern" and "Jack the Lantern" refer to the will-o'-the-wisp concept rather than the pumpkin carving aspect.
_________________

Learn some cool expressions in the following cool storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is how you can learn English the fun way! Click to subscribe to free email English course
we delivered 150 newspapersextremely adepta goody two-shoeswhat does cover refer to?Bill's wife is mutton dressed as lamb?What does 'nest egg' stand for?What does 'with egg on one's face' really mean?Meaning of the idiom 'completely foxed"wind directionnewspaper circulationmany hands make light workhave they?Rednecks are farmers in the US, right?