concentrated; focused; determined; resolute; purposeful
intent
bulk
party
fortunate

Why desperation not despair

Why have to be every dog has its day? | The matter of the fact...
Why desperation not despair #1 (permalink) Tue Aug 24, 2004 13:29 pm   Why desperation not despair

Alan,

Hi, I don't understand why 'despair' is wrong here.

Thanks in advance,
Elena

Test No. errors/advan-10 "Late at the Office", question 5

In desolation Ms Primshaw hoped she would be able to make one last effort to help Mary.

(a) desolation
(b) hoped
(c) be able
(d) to

Test No. errors/advan-10 "Late at the Office", answer 5

In desperation Ms Primshaw hoped she would be able to make one last effort to help Mary.

Correct entry: desperation
The error was: (a) desolation

You have found the error but your entry is incorrect.
In despair Ms Primshaw hoped she would be able to make one last effort to help Mary.
Aranthaa

Location: Russia

Deapiar/desperation #2 (permalink) Wed Aug 25, 2004 10:15 am   Deapiar/desperation

Thanks for this question. I had a feeling that the topic might come up when I was writing the test. Let me try and explain my thinking. A state of despair is a situation where you have given up all hope and accept the consequences. A state of desperation is if you like the next step forward - you have experienced despair but now you are desperate and you do something very often dramatic, violent, dangerous, perhaps criminal in order to get out of this situation. If you see a larger animal killing a smaller one for food, the victim is fighting for its life and will take desperate measures in order to survive. It is not just sitting there in despair and doing nothing. I have tried to show this idea in the sentence by reference to 'last effort' /last resort.

I hope this helps
_________________

Want to learn about the future tenses? Read this story and smileEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!How many different ways with words do you know? Subscribe to free email English course
Despair #3 (permalink) Wed Aug 25, 2004 11:40 am   Despair

That's Alan, thanks a lot, I never realized that, in fact Russian language does not even provide such a difference.
Aranthaa

Location: Russia

Once bitten twice shy?Target vs encourageLayout of a letterWhy "very" not "every"Why "have to" not "shall have to"Why "learned" not "learnt"Why bother. I want to write "worry"Apply or concernWhy tiring, not tiresome?I don't work out what does idiom meanUpset or upturnedAt last and at leastBreak or cut?