shortened form of a word or word combination
nuance
grant
schedule
abbreviation

My shift ends at about 5:30 pm.

reschedule your appointment | "on 23 April" vs. "at 23 April"
My shift ends at about 5:30 pm. #1 (permalink) Sat Nov 13, 2010 15:47 pm   My shift ends at about 5:30 pm.

ESL/EFL Test #160 "Daily Activities: Verbs (1)", question 10

Then, I work for the rest of the day. My shift ......... at about 5:30 pm. This is when I finish work and I can go home for the day.

(a) moves
(b) ends
(c) takes
(d) sets

ESL/EFL Test #160 "Daily Activities: Verbs (1)", answer 10

Then, I work for the rest of the day. My shift ends at about 5:30 pm. This is when I finish work and I can go home for the day.

Correct answer: (b) ends
_________________________

would it be right if I say " I work rest of the day"

please explain the difference

for rest of the day
rest of the day
_________________
Little deeds of kindness little words of love, help to make the earth happy like the heaven above :)
Learner_2010

My shift ends at about 5:30 pm. #2 (permalink) Sat Nov 13, 2010 16:14 pm   My shift ends at about 5:30 pm.

'For the rest of the day' only is acceptable.
_________________

How do you use the English Prepositions correctly?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is how you can learn English the fun way! Click to subscribe to free email English course
My shift ends at about 5:30 pm. #3 (permalink) Sat Nov 13, 2010 16:54 pm   My shift ends at about 5:30 pm.

thank you !
_________________
Learner_2010

My shift ends at about 5:30 pm. #4 (permalink) Sat Apr 30, 2011 12:45 pm   My shift ends at about 5:30 pm.

,,...and I can go home for the day'',shouldn't it be: ,,and I can go home for the rest of the day''?
if not, why there is only:,,for the day''?
thanks..

My shift ends at about 5:30 pm. #5 (permalink) Sat Apr 30, 2011 13:00 pm   My shift ends at about 5:30 pm.

It is probably a bit late in the day to use the fixed phrase 'go home for the day', but it is just that: a fixed phrase. The days' work is done.

You could say 'for the rest of the day' if you like, however.
_________________

admit ofcome of vs come fromall-you-can-eatMeaning of Graphics test........... please help mecoughing spellsno problemI will send you a copyonly 11 chaptersDoes enamored mean to be in love?take a showerI'm starting to get angry?What does furnished mean?Why is would wrong?