collective; total; taking all units as a whole
lucrative
impatient
complicated
aggregate

he would have an albatross around his neck?

When would i use the term reside in a hotel? | an identifying symbol
he would have an albatross around his neck? #1 (permalink) Sat Nov 13, 2010 18:03 pm   he would have an albatross around his neck?

He knew that if he got caught cheating, he would have an ......... around his neck for the rest of his college career.

(a) ax
(b) ox
(c) albatross
(d) ape

He knew that if he got caught cheating, he would have an albatross around his neck for the rest of his college career.

Correct answer: (c) albatross

_________________________

...he would have an albatross around his neck for the rest of his college career.

This is a very strange idiom. What does "an albatross around his neck" means in this phrase?
Regards:
_________________

he would have an albatross around his neck? #2 (permalink) Sun Nov 14, 2010 0:51 am   he would have an albatross around his neck?

Hello Kati,

An albatross is considered by sailors to be bad luck, and is often used to mean an encumbrance, or a wearisome burden.

This is an allusion to a famous poem, 'The Rime of the Ancient Mariner' by Samuel Taylor Coleridge.

In the poem, an albatross starts to follow a ship, which at that time was considered to be good luck. However, the mariner shoots the albatross with a crossbow, which is regarded as an act that will curse the ship (which indeed suffers terrible mishaps). To punish him, the other sailors make him wear the dead albatross around his neck indefinitely (until they all die from the curse, as it happens). Thus the albatross can be both an omen of good or bad luck, as well as a metaphor for a burden to be carried (as penance).
_________________

In this story you'll learn how to use the English articlesEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Read these English anecdotes and maybe smile today? Subscribe to free email English course
To BZ. #3 (permalink) Sun Nov 14, 2010 8:28 am   To BZ.

Dear BZ,

Thanks for the very interesting story. Now immediately I'll look for the poem and I am looking forward to reading it.

Have a good day:
Kati
_________________

Test and other things #4 (permalink) Thu Nov 25, 2010 22:45 pm   Test and other things

Today is 25th November 2010 22:39 Today for the third time that I did this test. Always my photo was on the score-board. Yesterday I did it but my photo for today disappeared. Why???
Kati
_________________

his own flesh and bloodI like them both.I'm ready for a lift.Relative clausedidn't want to have to do vs. didn't want to doin the hold up downtown?When a lift truck tips over, it leaks fuel.a bad hair dayI don't have a ghost of a chance...back seat driverWhat is the idiom for 'good cook'?What does sabotage mean?What does the Murphy's law imply in the sentence?