Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

to make clear; to concentrate
focus
conceive
offset
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

Transplanting plants

ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
Waterproofing a flat, metal roof | Sleeping Expressions
listening exercises
Transplanting plants #1 (permalink) Wed Nov 17, 2010 7:56 am   Transplanting plants

English Language Proficiency Tests, Advanced Level

ESL/EFL Test #701 "Reading and Comprehension (1)", question 9

When one intends to transplant a plant from a starter pot into the ground or a larger pot, there are a couple of things he or she should do to achieve success. Once the plant is removed from the starter pot, one should check to see if the plant is "pot bound." This means check to see if the roots have reached the bottom of the pot, have grown around the bottom of the pot or are starting to grow back up the sides. If this is the case, the gardener should peel away the bottom roots and some of the side roots so that the roots will grow and be able to expand in the new soil. When the plant is put into the ground, the dirt should remain someone loose, as opposed to packed, so the roots can easily grow in the soil. One last recommendation is to put the plant a little beneath the soil surface so that water collects at its base and soaks into the roots instead of running away from the plant.
This paragraph is about: .........

(a) Soil content
(b) Weeding
(c) Transplanting plants
(d) Soil compaction

English Language Proficiency Tests, Advanced Level

ESL/EFL Test #701 "Reading and Comprehension (1)", answer 9

When one intends to transplant a plant from a starter pot into the ground or a larger pot, there are a couple of things he or she should do to achieve success. Once the plant is removed from the starter pot, one should check to see if the plant is "pot bound." This means check to see if the roots have reached the bottom of the pot, have grown around the bottom of the pot or are starting to grow back up the sides. If this is the case, the gardener should peel away the bottom roots and some of the side roots so that the roots will grow and be able to expand in the new soil. When the plant is put into the ground, the dirt should remain someone loose, as opposed to packed, so the roots can easily grow in the soil. One last recommendation is to put the plant a little beneath the soil surface so that water collects at its base and soaks into the roots instead of running away from the plant.
This paragraph is about: Transplanting plants

Correct answer: (c) Transplanting plants

Hello,

Something is amiss in the fifth sentence of this test--When the plant is put into the ground, the dirt should remain someone loose, as opposed to packed, so the roots can easily grow in the soil. The word "someone" refers to a person but is representing a thing "the dirt" in this case. Could you please double-check the error?

Thank you.

Best wishes,
Bhikkhu1991a.
Bhikkhu1991a
I'm here quite often ;-)

Transplanting plants #2 (permalink) Wed Nov 17, 2010 21:34 pm   Transplanting plants

Hi Bhikku,

This was one of the 'other errors' which I corrected when looking at question 3 of this test.
Language Coach

What do you know about the progressive forms?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!This newsletter tells you all about English! Subscribe to free email English course
Waterproofing a flat, metal roof | Sleeping Expressions
ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on English Forums
What does 'seem' mean?I want to go to Mexico, but I also want to go to Peru.information is uncountable...Affluent Romans?It took place of a sudden?actual cost flowprolific = very productivecome up with a medicineas clever as a fox.she is afraid to ask to go to the toilet.a large gap between the platform and the train?I have been laid up with the fluif you will