set; equipment; outfit; clothing; wash basin
junction
expiration
readership
kit

Affluent Romans?

information is uncountable... | Meaning of blacksmith
Affluent Romans? #1 (permalink) Thu Nov 18, 2010 15:41 pm   Affluent Romans?

ESL/EFL Test #877 "Naples, Italy", question 2

The city of Naples was established by Greek colonists in the 7th century B.C. It was originally known as Palaepolis and was later named Neopolis, meaning "new city." By 326 B.C., it was under Roman leadership and became a favorite resort for ......... Romans.

(a) indigent
(b) affluent
(c) distitute
(d) desperate

ESL/EFL Test #877 "Naples, Italy", answer 2

The city of Naples was established by Greek colonists in the 7th century B.C. It was originally known as Palaepolis and was later named Neopolis, meaning "new city." By 326 B.C., it was under Roman leadership and became a favorite resort for affluent Romans.

Correct answer: (b) affluent

The city of Naples was established by Greek colonists in the 7th century B.C. It was originally known as Palaepolis and was later named Neopolis, meaning "new city." By 326 B.C., it was under Roman leadership and became a favorite resort for desperate Romans.
_________________________

The sentence says '..under Roman leadership..' doesn't it make Romans DESPERATE?
Despry

Affluent Romans? #2 (permalink) Thu Nov 18, 2010 18:12 pm   Affluent Romans?

I don't follow your thinking. They were in charge in the city. Why would that make them desperate?
'Affluent' means well-off or rich. The rich Romans were the ones who could afford to go there - they were affluent.
_________________

What do you know about the progressive forms?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is how you can learn English the fun way! Click to subscribe to free email English course
a veritable couch potato.Hearts, cupid, cards, chocolate.What is ill timed financing?What does 'seem' mean?I want to go to Mexico, but I also want to go to Peru.It took place of a sudden?Transplanting plantsWaterproofing a flat, metal roofSleeping Expressionsactual cost flowas clever as a fox.she is afraid to ask to go to the toilet.a large gap between the platform and the train?