Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

to measure; to evaluate; to determine; to estimate
argue
focus
slander
gauge
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

"The" conclave: sounds a bit odd here?

ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
Meaning of "a flight of stairs" | English Slang Idioms (17)/5
listening exercises
"The" conclave: sounds a bit odd here? #1 (permalink) Sun Nov 21, 2010 22:57 pm   "The" conclave: sounds a bit odd here?

English Language Proficiency Tests, Advanced Level

ESL/EFL Test #880 "The Blue Gotto of Capri", question 6

Divers have found antique Roman statues in the Grotto, evidence that its existence was known for centuries. However, it was long avoided by local residents, believing it to be the ......... of witches and monsters. Tales were often told of a sea serpent which swallowed any boats daring to enter the cave.

(a) sphere
(b) devastate
(c) kingdom
(d) conclave

English Language Proficiency Tests, Advanced Level

ESL/EFL Test #880 "The Blue Gotto of Capri", answer 6

Divers have found antique Roman statues in the Grotto, evidence that its existence was known for centuries. However, it was long avoided by local residents, believing it to be the conclave of witches and monsters. Tales were often told of a sea serpent which swallowed any boats daring to enter the cave.

Correct answer: (d) conclave

Your answer was: correct

Hmm I am not entirely happy with "conclave" as it is used here, or is that just me? I'd use "the" with "conclave" if it were known which specific conclave was meant, such as "the conclave of 1686" or "the Conclave of White Wizards"; I'd use "a" if it were unknown or not specific, as in "in the grand saloon he witnessed a conclave of hookers and pimps, feasting on wine and sweetmeats". But here it seems to be used in place of "domain" or "meeting place" or some place for witches to haunt. It is not known which conclave this is supposed to be, there are just some statues in the grotto, and there is no previous hint of expected groups of witches or a conclave. I'd suggest changing "the conclave" to either "a conclave" (still not great) or "the domain/realm/home".
Does anyone agree?
Cerberus™
I'm a Communicator ;-)

"The" conclave: sounds a bit odd here? #2 (permalink) Sun Nov 21, 2010 23:37 pm   "The" conclave: sounds a bit odd here?

Even without your strong, well-reasoned argument I'd agree.
Language Coach

Learn some cool expressions in the following cool storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is how you can learn English the fun way! Click to subscribe to free email English course
"The" conclave: sounds a bit odd here? #3 (permalink) Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:33 am   "The" conclave: sounds a bit odd here?

Hehe, that is good to hear, thanks!
Cerberus™
I'm a Communicator ;-)

how about kingdom of witches and monsters? #4 (permalink) Mon Jun 20, 2016 11:11 am   how about kingdom of witches and monsters?

how about kingdom of witches and monsters?
Baotet
I'm new here and I like it ;-)

"The" conclave: sounds a bit odd here? #5 (permalink) Mon Jun 20, 2016 11:24 am   "The" conclave: sounds a bit odd here?

'Kingdom' doesn't fit well. Witches and monsters aren't generally considered to have a monarch.
Language Coach

Meaning of "a flight of stairs" | English Slang Idioms (17)/5
ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on English Forums
About-face vs about-turn.What are household names?Money is the root of all evil...Measured off vs. metered off, test 486, number 5.Last but not least-meaningTest 641 number 9 "you get what you pay for" vs "you get what youIt has stopped raining/the rain has stoppeddifference between: "I may buy..." and "I may have to buy..."enticementWhat does 'to know the ropes' mean?If I were you? Subjuntive?"down a peg" vs "down a hill"What is the difference between a bank teller and a cashier?