to write one's name by hand; to sign one's name
nurse
watch
autograph
found

while I have you on the phone.

We are getting a break? | Isn't gestation period a medical term?
while I have you on the phone. #1 (permalink) Sun Nov 28, 2010 8:40 am   while I have you on the phone.

ESL/EFL Test #737 "Dialogue Practice: Hotels (5)", question 1

Mr. Smith: Oh, yes. I forgot about the firewalls. I'll do that right now while I ......... you on the phone.

(a) am
(b) talk
(c) have
(d) run

ESL/EFL Test #737 "Dialogue Practice: Hotels (5)", answer 1

Mr. Smith: Oh, yes. I forgot about the firewalls. I'll do that right now while I have you on the phone.

Correct answer: (c) have

Mr. Smith: Oh, yes. I forgot about the firewalls. I'll do that right now while I talk you on the phone.
_________________________

What is the meaning of “have” in this Question 1, please? For example, there is a headword “have” with several meanings in the Oxford Advanced Learner’s Dictionary (OALD), but I don’t know which one. Could you please tell me the correct one?

Here is a link to visit the website OALD:
http://www.oxfordadvancedlearnersdictionary.com/dictionary/have

Best wishes,
Bhikkhu1991a.
Bhikkhu1991a

while I have you on the phone. #2 (permalink) Sun Nov 28, 2010 9:37 am   while I have you on the phone.

This suggests 'While I have you available to talk to/have your attention/ on the phone'.

_________________

Learn some cool expressions in the following cool storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is all you want to know about English! Click to subscribe to free email English course
while I have you on the phone. #3 (permalink) Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:32 am   while I have you on the phone.

Hello Mr. Alan Townend,

Thank you for your interpretations of “while I have you on the phone”. However, I have a couple of problems. Does your explanation “have your attention” mean the same as “get someone’s attention” or “grab someone’s attention”?

Another problem is as far as I know neither of your interpretations can fit into one of the entries under the headword “have (verb) in the following dictionaries. Therefore, I need your help to show your interpretation of “have” in “have your attention” in one entry in any dictionaries:

1. http://www.oxfordadvancedlearnersdictionary.com/dictionary/have
2. http://www.thefreedictionary.com/have
3. http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/have+?o=100074

Many thanks.

Best wishes,
Bhikkhu1991.
Bhikkhu1991a

while I have you on the phone. #4 (permalink) Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:46 am   while I have you on the phone.

Hi Bhikku,

You are creating problems where there none. The phrase 'while I have you on the phone' is widely used by native speakers regardless of what your free online dictionaries say.

'While I have you on the phone' simply means 'since/while we are speaking on the phone'.

TOEIC listening, question-response: Who's going to assist me with this project?

ask for your ticket and then give you a boarding passIf you build your enterprise on sandThere were all manner of thingsmove the goalpostsHe encourages his daughter to studyWhy were MyBlogLog, Flickr, del.icio.us ankle-biter aquistions?What are drill-bit stocks?they are not fast growth potential vs. they have not fast growth potentialwe have finally got the problem resolvedWhat does endeavor mean?have you given thought?Unable to solve?... we want our house to look like...