unit of time equal to 60 seconds; 1/60 of an hour; memo; protocol; memorandum
system
minute
garment
tender

Difference between news and information

Downloading English tests? | If he objects it means he is totally against any measures
Difference between news and information #1 (permalink) Sat Mar 04, 2006 18:09 pm   Difference between news and information

ESL/EFL Test #70 "Chit Chat: In the train", question 3

Mrs Ashton: Well, that's good ..........

(a) information
(b) knowledge
(c) knowing
(d) news

ESL/EFL Test #70 "Chit Chat: In the train", answer 3

Mrs Ashton: Well, that's good news.

Correct answer: (d) news

Mrs Ashton: Well, that's good information.
_________________________

what is the difference between news and informarion?

revazchik
revazchik

News/information #2 (permalink) Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:14 am   News/information

Hi revazchik,

News
is an account about what has recently happened as in a news programme on the tv or radio telling you what has happened in the world.

Information describes facts and details about a certain subject. When you go to a large store and you want to know where you can buy something, you go to the information desk to find out.

_________________

In this story you'll learn everything about the passive voiceEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Learn how to explore English words! Subscribe to free email English course
A piece of grammar pie #3 (permalink) Sun Mar 05, 2006 23:35 pm   A piece of grammar pie

Uncountable nouns are another small hurdle for English beginner sudents. Common mistakes are: ‘I would like an information’, ‘I heard a news’ or ‘we bought a furniture’, as they would say in their language.

This typical feature of English seems a bit strange at first and it may take some time to remember to use ‘a piece of’ when meaning just one article:

a piece of luggage/advice/furniture/information/news/clothing/writing/chalk/paper/work, etc.

Difference between news and information #4 (permalink) Wed Mar 18, 2009 18:40 pm   Difference between news and information

''Well, that's good news''.-Isn't it a mistake?. So why It shouldn't be: ''Well, that's a piece of good news''.

Difference between news and information #5 (permalink) Wed Mar 18, 2009 18:45 pm   Difference between news and information

Why would it be a mistake? You also say the following things:
- that's clear water
- that's good money
- that's good stuff

When you say 'that's good news' you don't refer to any specific piece of information but just to a situation as a whole.

TOEIC listening, photographs: An electrical technician

Difference between news and information #6 (permalink) Wed Mar 18, 2009 19:11 pm   Difference between news and information

Mr Torsten, but ''that's'' = ''that is'', so ''is'' (from ''that is'') can be put before an uncountable nouns as: news, information, water, money? And after them we should write: news is...., information is....., water is...? and we shouldn't write: news are...money are.......?

Difference between news and information #7 (permalink) Wed Mar 18, 2009 19:15 pm   Difference between news and information

That's right. You say 'that's milk' not 'that are milk'. You ask "What is this?" Answer: That's milk/that's money/that's bread...

TOEIC listening, photographs: A parachute

hi there #8 (permalink) Fri Aug 13, 2010 19:41 pm   hi there

hi there,I'm just wandering? whats the last thing of this amazing test? whats going to be after all? and kindly could i ask your advice? what to take after this.I'm so gung ho to finish it.

looking forward to hearing from you Guys.

Hapkido
Hapkido

Location: Ksa

Test incompl/inter-195, Question 3Test incompl/elem-164, Question 6Test incompl/inter-254, User's Answer 8Test express/inter-7, Question 4Test express/inter-7, Question 3Test express/inter-6, Question 8Test incompl/elem-296, User's Answer 3What does to make a quick buck mean?you must do all of your homework?definite article with the superlative degree of an adverbWhat does 'fall back on' mean?It's not his fault? What does it mean?What does cope with stress mean?