person skilled in a particular area; specialist
expert
union
synthesis
essence

The others vs. some others

Meaning of the idiom "fall off a turnip truck" | I take my turn at advising our clients
The others vs. some others #1 (permalink) Sat Mar 04, 2006 18:40 pm   The others vs. some others

ESL/EFL Test #74 "Other, another, others, the others", question 8

There are 50 states in the United States. One is North Carolina and ......... are Virginia and Kentucky.

(a) another
(b) the others
(c) some others
(d) the other

ESL/EFL Test #74 "Other, another, others, the others", answer 8

There are 50 states in the United States. One is North Carolina and some others are Virginia and Kentucky.

Correct answer: (c) some others

There are 50 states in the United States. One is North Carolina and the others are Virginia and Kentucky.
_________________________

y cant v use " some others " instead of "the others" because Virginia and Kentucky r 2 of many US states.
"the other" as far as i know is used when we are talking about the exact nos.
Eg. There were 6 paintings. 4 were coloured and the others were sketches

please help me!!
thx in advance

Priyanka
Priyanka

The others/some others #2 (permalink) Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:25 am   The others/some others

Hi Priyanka,

In the sentence:

If you said the others, it would mean there are only 3 states but there are 50 states and the examples Virginia and Kentucky are simply other examples - some others.

_________________

Learn some cool expressions in the following cool storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!How many different ways with words do you know? Subscribe to free email English course
The others vs. some others #3 (permalink) Sun Dec 28, 2008 15:57 pm   The others vs. some others

can i use 'others' instead of 'some others'
Schwartz

"68-year-old" instead of "68-years-old""yet" and "however"After Summer come the...?What does Chinooks mean?What's the difference between account and count?meaning of prefermentGarbage in garbage out kind of thing?What's the grammar rule for using anyone and no one?What does the phrase 'I'm at the end of my tether at work' mean?The meaning of "light rain"turn vs runPhrase: The coldest season of the year is typically the winter season.What does 'dead from the neck up' mean?