necessary; obligatory; commanding
imperative
maximum
reasonable
upcoming

move the goalposts

He encourages his daughter to study | If you build your enterprise on sand
move the goalposts #1 (permalink) Thu Dec 02, 2010 20:58 pm   move the goalposts

One of the problems he had with the Law class he was in was the teacher's propensity to move the ......... on the students. She would tell them what the standards and requirements were one week, then change them the next.

(a) dormitories
(b) classrooms
(c) goalposts
(d) agendas

One of the problems he had with the Law class he was in was the teacher's propensity to move the goalposts on the students. She would tell them what the standards and requirements were one week, then change them the next.

Correct answer: (c) goalposts

One of the problems he had with the Law class he was in was the teacher's propensity to move the agendas on the students. She would tell them what the standards and requirements were one week, then change them the next.
_________________________

Does to move the goalposts on somebody mean to confuse, distract?
Nenad11

Location: Belgrade

move the goalposts #2 (permalink) Thu Dec 02, 2010 22:58 pm   move the goalposts

No. It means to change the targets/objectives.
_________________

In this story you'll learn how to use the English articlesEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!This newsletter tells you all about English! Subscribe to free email English course
I really need to buy somesomber security guardsWhat does 'as good as it gets' mean?in my neck of the woodsgo through securityask for your ticket and then give you a boarding passThere were all manner of thingsWhy were MyBlogLog, Flickr, del.icio.us ankle-biter aquistions?What are drill-bit stocks?they are not fast growth potential vs. they have not fast growth potentialIsn't gestation period a medical term?we have finally got the problem resolvedWhat does endeavor mean?