Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

to be adjacent to
challenge
discover
border
unveil
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

A gait is a specific walking or running pace

ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
flag down a taxi | Dig one's heel
listening exercises
A gait is a specific walking or running pace #1 (permalink) Sat Dec 04, 2010 9:28 am   A gait is a specific walking or running pace

English Language Proficiency Tests, Advanced Level

ESL/EFL Test #755 "Vocabulary Practice: Horses (2)", question 10

A ......... is a specific walking or running pace as well as a pattern of foot movements that trained horses follow. For example, horses 'canter', 'trot' or 'gallop'.

(a) gait
(b) strut
(c) beat
(d) trait

English Language Proficiency Tests, Advanced Level

ESL/EFL Test #755 "Vocabulary Practice: Horses (2)", answer 10

A gait is a specific walking or running pace as well as a pattern of foot movements that trained horses follow. For example, horses 'canter', 'trot' or 'gallop'.

Correct answer: (a) gait

Your answer was: correct

Hello,

These sentences of Question 10 are ungrammatically constructed. Could you please amend them?

Thank you.

Best wishes,
Bhikkhu1991a.
Bhikkhu1991a
I'm here quite often ;-)

A gait is a specific walking or running pace #2 (permalink) Sat Dec 04, 2010 14:59 pm   A gait is a specific walking or running pace

What do you find wrong with the construction here, Bhikkhu?

How do you use the English Prepositions correctly?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Start exploring the English language today! Subscribe to free email English course
A gait is a specific walking or running pace #3 (permalink) Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:19 am   A gait is a specific walking or running pace

Hello Mister Micawber,

First, Inverted commas or Quotation marks are used for unusual words, titles and so forth. But then, 'canter', 'trot' or 'gallop' are just normal words according to Cambridge Advanced Learnerís Dictionary. Therefore, they should not be treated as unusual words. Even Wikipedia online and Oxford advanced Learnerís Dictionary online explained that Inverted commas are for the purpose of unusual words, titles and so forth:
1. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quotation_mark.
2. http://www.oxfordadvancedlearnersdictionary.com/dictionary/quotation-marks.

Second, I thought the second sentence with examples should be embedded in the first sentence.

Please correct me if I am wrong. Thank you.

Best wishes,
Bhikkhu1991a.
Bhikkhu1991a
I'm here quite often ;-)

A gait is a specific walking or running pace #4 (permalink) Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:43 am   A gait is a specific walking or running pace

Wrong on both counts, I am afraid, Bhikku. Single quotes are also used to set out words qua words (i.e. the words in themselves), which is being done here. Also, in the style of these quiz sets, the second sentence is certainly an independent clause and can stand alone; it is the writer's style choice.

A gait is a specific walking or running pace #5 (permalink) Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:58 am   A gait is a specific walking or running pace

Hello Mister Micawber,

Thank you for your invaluable expertise. I greatly appreciate it, especially when you pointed out the style choice of the second sentence was decided by the writer.

Many thanks.

Best wishes,
Bhikkhu1991a
Bhikkhu1991a
I'm here quite often ;-)

flag down a taxi | Dig one's heel
ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on English Forums
Robert's courting Tanyaon the other handHe allows squattingI feel lousy todayPlease help me in writing my motivation letterIf only/only ifWhat does 'this is' mean here?article "a" or "the"When we use an article "an" ?He is adorable.I really need to buy somehe turned out to be a fraud.heart to heart