Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

guidebook; library; catalog
switchboard
taste
directory
defense
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

Difference between believe and discover

ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
Meaning of "bear up" | Meaning of this phrase
listening exercises
Difference between believe and discover #1 (permalink) Tue Mar 07, 2006 8:02 am   Difference between believe and discover

English Grammar Tests, Elementary Level

ESL/EFL Test #12 "We went on holiday", question 2

Does anyone honestly ......... what a politician says nowadays?

(a) discover
(b) think
(c) believe
(d) credit

English Grammar Tests, Elementary Level

ESL/EFL Test #12 "We went on holiday", answer 2

Does anyone honestly believe what a politician says nowadays?

Correct answer: (c) believe

Your answer was: incorrect
Does anyone honestly discover what a politician says nowadays?

what is the difference between believe and discover

Lora
Lora

Believe/discover #2 (permalink) Tue Mar 07, 2006 9:21 am   Believe/discover

Hi Lora,

Believe means trust and accept as the truth. Discover someone means find.

Look at these:

She accepted every single thing he said without any doubt and believed him when he said he was telling the truth,

She changed her mind however when she discovered a letter he'd written that said the exact opposite.

Alan
Co-founder
Alan Townend

Can you find all the prepositions in this story?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Sign up for FREE and explore English! Click to subscribe to email English course
Credit & believe #3 (permalink) Sun Nov 26, 2006 0:35 am   Credit & believe

What's the difference between 'credit' and 'believe', please?
Moni

Credit & believe #4 (permalink) Sun Nov 26, 2006 14:25 pm   Credit & believe

Hi Moni

To give someone credit for something means to acknowledge his or her accomplishments/contributions to a certain task or work. Like the credits rolling over the screen at the end of a movie, naming everyone who contributed to its making.

Related with the concept of belief is the word "credible", which means that if you consider someone to be very credible -or put differently, to have a high level of credibility- you are willing to believe him.

Moni wrote:
What's the difference between 'credit' and 'believe', please?
Lucien_Librarian
You can meet me at english-test.net

Credit vs. believe #5 (permalink) Sun Nov 26, 2006 15:47 pm   Credit vs. believe

Adding to what our new friend has said (by the way, welcome Ralf!), 'credit' and 'believe' can also be synonymous:

I don't credit his story.
Conchita
Language Coach

Credit vs. believe #6 (permalink) Sun Nov 26, 2006 18:58 pm   Credit vs. believe

Hi Conchita and thanks for welcoming me.

Credit has really a lot of meanings depending on context. I found this list quite comprehensive:

http://www.bartleby.com/61/56/C0735600.html

Cheers
L.L.

Conchita wrote:
Adding to what our new friend has said (by the way, welcome Ralf!), 'credit' and 'believe' can also be synonymous:

I don't credit his story.
Lucien_Librarian
You can meet me at english-test.net

Difference between believe and discover #7 (permalink) Sun Nov 26, 2006 20:42 pm   Difference between believe and discover

Hi,

The ideas behind 'credit and 'believe' vary slightly in their implication. We can say: I wouldn't credit it or I wouldn't believe it.They both suggest that you find 'it' difficult to accept. 'Not believe it' suggests you think 'it' false or incorrect , 'not credit it' not only do you not accept ' it' but also you don't think it is possible.

A
Co-founder
Alan Townend

Difference between believe and discover #8 (permalink) Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:48 am   Difference between believe and discover

Hi there
We usually use the verb believe with the preposition in. Believe in sth. What about this case?
Amaygoli
I'm new here and I like it ;-)

Difference between believe and discover #9 (permalink) Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:03 am   Difference between believe and discover

Hi
The description of Mr. Alan about the difference between "Credit" and "Believe" is accurate but it is also so hard to use these word properly. I think there might be another easier explanation in order to use these synonymous words. isn't it
Ealizadeh

Difference between believe and discover #10 (permalink) Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:29 pm   Difference between believe and discover

Hi
i have searched the difference on Cambridge Dictionary. according to that, "TO CREDIT" means to believe something which seems unlikely to be true as in:
"He even tried to pretend he was a film star's son - can you credit it?" in this example, being a film star is unlikely, so we have to use credit instead of belive.
cheers
Ealizadeh

Meaning of "bear up" | Meaning of this phrase
ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on English Forums
Planktonspecies - man - acquired ????When don't I use a comma before "because"?whats the diffrence in the use of articles??can you help me?reckon vs. realizeWhy is there "S" been add eventhough after the word usually?depend on vs hang onCan I say: "I've been so busy" here?Difference between listen to and hearFeel free to askDifference between 'fled' and 'flew'Difference between let and permit