guidebook; library; catalog
switchboard
taste
directory
defense

Difference between believe and discover

Meaning of "bear up" | Meaning of this phrase
Difference between believe and discover #1 (permalink) Tue Mar 07, 2006 8:02 am   Difference between believe and discover

ESL/EFL Test #12 "We went on holiday", question 2

Does anyone honestly ......... what a politician says nowadays?

(a) discover
(b) think
(c) believe
(d) credit

ESL/EFL Test #12 "We went on holiday", answer 2

Does anyone honestly believe what a politician says nowadays?

Correct answer: (c) believe

Does anyone honestly discover what a politician says nowadays?
_________________________

what is the difference between believe and discover

Lora
Lora

Believe/discover #2 (permalink) Tue Mar 07, 2006 9:21 am   Believe/discover

Hi Lora,

Believe means trust and accept as the truth. Discover someone means find.

Look at these:

She accepted every single thing he said without any doubt and believed him when he said he was telling the truth,

She changed her mind however when she discovered a letter he'd written that said the exact opposite.

_________________

Can you find all the prepositions in this story?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Sign up for FREE and explore English! Click to subscribe to email English course
Credit & believe #3 (permalink) Sun Nov 26, 2006 0:35 am   Credit & believe

What's the difference between 'credit' and 'believe', please?
Moni

Credit & believe #4 (permalink) Sun Nov 26, 2006 14:25 pm   Credit & believe

Hi Moni

To give someone credit for something means to acknowledge his or her accomplishments/contributions to a certain task or work. Like the credits rolling over the screen at the end of a movie, naming everyone who contributed to its making.

Related with the concept of belief is the word "credible", which means that if you consider someone to be very credible -or put differently, to have a high level of credibility- you are willing to believe him.

Moni wrote:
Lucien_Librarian

Location: Germany

Credit vs. believe #5 (permalink) Sun Nov 26, 2006 15:47 pm   Credit vs. believe

Adding to what our new friend has said (by the way, welcome Ralf!), 'credit' and 'believe' can also be synonymous:

I don't credit his story.

Credit vs. believe #6 (permalink) Sun Nov 26, 2006 18:58 pm   Credit vs. believe

Hi Conchita and thanks for welcoming me.

Credit has really a lot of meanings depending on context. I found this list quite comprehensive:

http://www.bartleby.com/61/56/C0735600.html

Cheers
L.L.

Conchita wrote:

I don't credit his story.
Lucien_Librarian

Location: Germany

Difference between believe and discover #7 (permalink) Sun Nov 26, 2006 20:42 pm   Difference between believe and discover

The ideas behind 'credit and 'believe' vary slightly in their implication. We can say: I wouldn't credit it or I wouldn't believe it.They both suggest that you find 'it' difficult to accept. 'Not believe it' suggests you think 'it' false or incorrect , 'not credit it' not only do you not accept ' it' but also you don't think it is possible.

_________________

Difference between believe and discover #8 (permalink) Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:48 am   Difference between believe and discover

Hi there
We usually use the verb believe with the preposition in. Believe in sth. What about this case?
Amaygoli

Difference between believe and discover #9 (permalink) Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:03 am   Difference between believe and discover

The description of Mr. Alan about the difference between "Credit" and "Believe" is accurate but it is also so hard to use these word properly. I think there might be another easier explanation in order to use these synonymous words. isn't it
Ealizadeh

Location: Tehran- Iran

Difference between believe and discover #10 (permalink) Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:29 pm   Difference between believe and discover

i have searched the difference on Cambridge Dictionary. according to that, "TO CREDIT" means to believe something which seems unlikely to be true as in:
"He even tried to pretend he was a film star's son - can you credit it?" in this example, being a film star is unlikely, so we have to use credit instead of belive.
cheers
Ealizadeh

Location: Tehran- Iran

Planktonspecies - man - acquired ????When don't I use a comma before "because"?whats the diffrence in the use of articles??can you help me?reckon vs. realizeWhy is there "S" been add eventhough after the word usually?depend on vs hang onCan I say: "I've been so busy" here?Difference between listen to and hearFeel free to askDifference between 'fled' and 'flew'Difference between let and permit